Warped white metal cast tender frame

haiduan

I just acquired an unbuilt Bowser T-1 Duplex locomotive kit from eBay. All the parts look to be complete, but there is a problem with the tender frame - it has a significant bow to it. Does anyone have any tips on straightening a white metal casting without breaking it? Or am I just better off fabricating a new frame?

I've been told that GENTLE taps with a ball peen hammer on top of an anvil will work. Use the ball end and tap along the bow working along the bow a little at a time. Don't get in a hurry or you may crack the casting. Good luck.

Joe

I have no experience in this, but I would use a press, and I would get the frame fairly hot before pressing it. Not smoking hot, not glowing hot, but oven 300 deg hot. Then, use a wooden block to press it back into true on a hard planar surface using upper body weight or a hydraulic lift/press. If it busts, use epoxy to get it back together. Let it cure for a minimum of 24 full hours before lifting it and trying to use it for assembly.

Can you put up a pic or 2, so we can see what we're dealing with? Might be simple, might not.

Might be an idea to check with Bowser to see if they might have a frame they could sell you. I can't see anything working to straighten out a cast white metal frame, but who knows? Good luck and please keep us informed.

Back