Want to help with a new layout?

Missed this one somehow. The 3rd lead in the original design was for the coal / sand supply to the coaling / sanding tower respectively and supplies (tools, oil, parts) to the round house. That way commodities were not interfering with the locomotive service/ready operations.

Should I work it back in?

Should I work it back in?
Depends if that sort of thing is important to you or not. There is a whole operating scheme around steam locomotive facilities. There are some layouts where the loco servicing and shops ARE the central feature of or even the whole layout. With limited space one always has to make sacrifices and compromises somewhere, so only you can decide if it is more important than giving up what you have now for it.

Missed this one somehow. The 3rd lead in the original design was for the coal/sand supply to the coaling/sanding tower respectively and supplies (tools, oil, parts) to the roundhouse. That way commodities were not interfering with the locomotive service/ready operations.
The uses of that track makes sense but they normally didn't end at a turntable.

FWIW, I like the ideas of the stock car, and packing house sidings. I'm also wondering if you route the track into the upper right corner, where there isn't a lot right now, with mainline between the coal mine, to the town with the roundhouse, routed thru a canyon going into the back corner would add some scenic flavor.

A bit of an update. As I did with my last layout I printed it in 1:1 scale, the size took me aback a bit:

20180902_001323.jpg

But, it really helps visualize the layout and see any potential issues. I was worried about the clearance around the roundhouse area, but it turns out it will be just fine:

20180903_154300.jpg
20180903_154400.jpg

I also put down some of the buildings that I'm going to eventually use, and that helped identify a few adjustments I'm going to have to make:
1. I've rotated the roundhouse around the turntable to provide more clearance for the outside tracks
2. I'm going to be rearranging the footprint of the roundhouse so the extended bay is on the right side (it used to be in the middle). The roundhouse basically collapsed during the move, so I was going to have to rebuild it anyways.
3. I'm not going to be able to fit a coaling station coming off the turntable. I'm going to be putting in on the right. I'm going to have to push that track out a bit to accommodate.

20180903_160236.jpg

And, finally, constructions begins! First of five sections I've designed for the benchwork. I figured I'd start on this section as this is going to be the most complex and will set the stage for the rest of the layout. I can't count the number of times I knocked my head on that light. It's coming down this weekend to make way for some track lighting (and to keep from knocking myself unconscious).

20180920_181321.jpg

Going to be a nice looking layout. Nice start to the benchwork! Are you planning some kind of a back drop?

Well, it's been a bit of a haul, but I reached a major milestone today: benchwork is done! I can start laying track now. I've included some pics.

I've uploaded a pic of the final design I am running with. I made some minor adjustments to the original so that I could accommodate some specific buildings I want to include, and couldn't find space for in the original. I do have a question though: I've marked where I plan on putting in the gaps in my track (red lines), bridging the gaps with some ARUs. Do these look like the most ideal places?

Thanks!

Ian

20190428_175658.jpg20190428_175701.jpg20190428_175705.jpg20190428_175711.jpg20190504_183901.jpg20190504_183916.jpg20190504_183953.jpg20190504_184005.jpg20190504_184009.jpgNewLayout-V5-Breaks-sm33.jpg

Back