WalthersMainline HO Scale 40' AAR 1948 Boxcars

bob

Administrator
Staff member
WalthersMainline HO Scale
40' AAR 1948 Boxcars

40_association_of_american_railroads_1948_boxcar_ready_to_run_910-1450_big.jpg

New WalthersMainline 40' Association of American Railroads 1948-style boxcars were just announced in HO Scale! Available in three road numbers each for six different railroads, these models feature all the key spotting features found on prototypes in service through four decades: improved 4-4 Dreadnaught ends, diagonal panel roof, Apex steel running boards, ten panel riveted sides and 6' Youngstown doors. These limited run cars are the perfect blend between accurate detail and affordability

I saw these in a Walthers email. There are a couple of road name that interest me BUT I don't think there is much of a difference from the old blue box kits at $27.98 each. I imagine that they will probably go on sale some time in the future. I have been acquiring Kedee cars in the mid $30 range.

They are perfect for the era I am modeling.

It seems Walthers has consolidated it's HO lines into 2. The old Ready to Run line now is gone as well Trainline, being now this Mainline, so there is a mix of both being produced under the one banner, even some of the older Proto models are included.

So we have Proto2000 as the top of the market line and Mainline as the entry level. Going by the description, the model shown seems to have had some features upgraded.

This has been going on with Athearn's lines for some time as well. It has got to the point that their RTR brand is almost up to the Genesis line detailwise in the rolling stock. I have RTR's and Genesis that the only differences are the trucks. RTR has the standard truck with pointed end axles and the Genesis, roller bearing with the rotating caps and rod bracing on the bolsters, otherwise the car detailing is identical.

Back