Walthers Trainline Freight Car Fix?

diburning

AlcoHaulic
I bought a car off of eBay that was listed as an Athearn car, but when I got it, it was clearly a Walthers Trainline car.

Before I send it back with a scathing complaint, is there a way to replace those truck pins with screws? With the pins removed, it seems that it leaves a large hole that no screw would fit through.

Of course, I am only asking for options, I won't attempt a fix and then return it.

Eric, I did one once but don't remember just how... big help, right?
I think I plugged the hole with styrene rod then screwed into that.
Look carefully, you may need to have the rod sticking out for the bolster to slide over.
You'll know what I mean when you see it... sorry but as I said can't remember how and I no longer have that car.

I bought a car off of eBay that was listed as an Athearn car, but when I got it, it was clearly a Walthers Trainline car.

Before I send it back with a scathing complaint, is there a way to replace those truck pins with screws? With the pins removed, it seems that it leaves a large hole that no screw would fit through.

Of course, I am only asking for options, I won't attempt a fix and then return it.

I don't know if you realize it but Atlas's early HO freight cars which are a lot nicer than the Trainline cars, they had truck pins in them to hold the trucks on too! Yes, Atlas, including the cylindrical hoppers. The pins can be replaced by the standard type of screw used by Athearn for their blue box cars. Overall Atlas nice cars but that is how they were made for the first 4 or 5 years at least in the 1990'.

I bought a couple of Trainline cars including the double airslide and the North American 50' box car. They didn't cost much so I'm not going to get worked up over a $10 car. If you can't find a screw big enough for the hole, you may have to plug it and redrill a new one - which for many model RRers is pretty basic. I had a Robins Rails covered hopper I had to use a bigger screw to hold the truck on, and that did the job.

I don't think it is worth the postage and grief to return it to the Ebay seller for a refund, the postage is probably the better cost of the car itself. Just replace the pin with a screw and your good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back