Walthers Trainline FA-1 Decoder installation

spruce57

Hi all,
I recently acquired a Walthers Trainline HO FA-1 and want to install a DCC decoder, and then some detailing. I have installed various decoders in DCC ready Atlas and Proto engines, but never one this "basic".
I have a Digitrax DH123D decoder that I hope to use. Can anyone give me explicit instructions to install the decoder in this engine? I don't want to mess it up. I don't have a problem soldering.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

As I recall, it was actually relatively simple to install in my trainline GP9M. The motor should already be isolated, and two wire leads connected. All you have to do is snip the leads and solder your GRAY and ORANGE wires to the leads heading toward the motor; check to see which wire went to the right rail, as this should be the hot (+) wire, meaning that wire on the motor is the positive. ORANGE goes to positive (+), GRAY goes to negative (-). The headlights were just as easy, snip the wires and solder one wire from the front, and one from the back to the BLUE lead from the decoder; the other front wire should be soldered to the WHITE wire from the decoder, and the second wire from the read should be soldered to the YELLOW wire from the decoder. The last set of wires from the pickups should be wired to the decoder as so: BLACK wire from decoder goes to the two wires on the left side (fireman's) of the chassis, and the RED wire goes to the two wires on the right side (engineer's).

Make sure that the wires don't touch the flywheel or moving parts. I used some double sided foam tape to stick my decoder to the roof of the locomotive. You will have to look to see where it will fit (the weight can be in the way).

Good Luck!

Thanks Adam!!
I did the wiring as you suggested, and it worked perfectly. You were right. It wasn't difficult. Just needed a helping hand.

Dave

Back