Walthers Special cars ...

Aerojet

Okay, my first post, and i guess I can start with something safe .. Anyone still running Walthers special cars? My thoughts go to "Jail Box" -- "Next time any crime? How about that huge beer can tanker? And let's not forget the Oscar and Piker. I have both of those in the original kit ( very heavy ) and the new all plastic ones. Fun to run!

29920778861_e9e0accdd7_z.jpg

Just showing the flag, as it was, I have both and run them all the time - like my Amtrash Special? Having fun running the road ...

Speaking of the ROAD -- Since i am new to the board, and you don't know me, I thought I would post out my current pike - This is Woodland Scenic River Pass with a lot of modifications, including the extra foot or so on the front. Every building lights up, even the cars have working headlights and taillights. I know it does not measure up to some of the fantastic layouts I have seen here -- but it is mine, and what I have been doing over the years ..

29710014090_81032d6fd5_z.jpg

Since it is Wisconsin Southern in the Kickapoo Valley, there is no time period, just RR fun ...

I hope you enjoy it, and know when I post out something, it is from hard won and sometimes costly experience that I am talking from ..

Later --

The Aerojet

Anyone still running Walthers special cars?
Since I am not running much right now I don't know if I can say I am "still" running them or not. I've got bunches of both the old metal and new plastic OSCARs and PIKERs in my collection. The last time I ran them was when I was the Treasurer of the Platte Valley Model Railroad club. The observation car was my assigned car from the executive fleet that I use when I went into Platte City to do an audit. The coach was for my entourage of secretaries and internal auditors.

I don't believe I've ever had or even seen in real life a beer can or jail box.

I did submit my entry of a "Rail Gone" to their contest when they were looking for more tongue-in-cheek cars. It was a gondola with a crane on one side for removing the rails behind the car. Obviously I didn't win. In fact, I don't remember them ever producing any more - so maybe no one won.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wrong there is a peanut car (has a giant peanut on a flatcar).
Yeah, I remember it now that you mention it. Never understood the joke. Why a peanut and not some other oversized thing.

I also remember the impact test car. I was going to build one using a mercury thermostat element instead of a steel ball. Never did but... To me that is practical considering some of the oafs that come to operating sessions.

Never understood the joke. Why a peanut and not some other oversized thing.

If I recall correctly, the peanut car was a "joke" aimed at then-President Jimmy Carter, who was from the state of Georgia, and considered to be "less than cosomopolitan". I have the impression that the peanut cars didn't sell very well.

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I guess I am the only old timer in here. Out of all the members of this forum nobody posted a photo of the "peanut one" car. Wait until I get the rest of my old cars out of the catalog and onto the puter ... I do have a few of them, but this one I never bought ...

30537326330_e748e4cae8_b.jpg

I am not sure why the Walther's "Tongue in Cheek" cars did not sell well. I guess model railroaders of the 70's did not have a sense of humor ...

Today they are collectable, and worth a small fortune to the right buyer .. trust me ...

The Aerojet

I am not sure why the Walther's "Tongue in Cheek" cars did not sell well. I guess model railroaders of the 70's did not have a sense of humor ...
I didn't (still don't) find any of them to be that funny. The Oscar and Piker are more in the interesting abstraction category.

Back