Walther's double crossover problems?

NYC_George

I didn't want to steal another's members thread with this video so I decided start my own thread. I'm not sure what the problem with the Walther's double crossover is. I had a few shorts occurring on the crossover part of the switch but I solved the problem by expanding the insulated areas with a little added nail polish.

Here's a video of the crossover in use a few years back the last train in the video will use the switch.

George

(The following response was given in another post for Beiland about this same problem. There references to the photos in Beilands thread. Hope this is helpful)!
I found on mine (Shinohara Code 100) that with DCC that I need to throw all four switches, even though I am only entering the switch from one side; or, the other. I have a breaker in my system, so I don't get shorts, strongly suggest you do the same! What I mean to say, in your first photo, if a loco is where your passenger car is and wants to cross over to the other track, I need to place all of the four turnouts in the cross over mode. Otherwise I get a short. It's the same with the loco wanting to go through the straight portion of the crossover. I'm uncertain why this happens, and am uncertain how to fix this. I just know that to use the crossover, I need to heed what I have just said.

Why NP22626? I don't need to do anything. As long as the route is aligned I have no problems. It's an insulfrog switch. I did have to expand the insulfrog with some nail polish.

George

George,...no problem with adding to that subject thread of mine,...its all about these double crossovers, and I am learning as well.

BTW this quote on another forum discussion was spot on,..
Sun, 2019-04-21 22:42 — Ken Rice

Brian, given that those are power routing turnouts I think if you had all four thrown for diverging you wouldn’t run the risk of a short at the spot you circled. If you have only two diagonal of the four thrown to cross over, then that little gap you’ve circled will have opposite polarity on either side of the gap, so a wider wheel tread might short there.

It seems there a quite a number of variations of these Shinohara dbl-X, and there are solutions for both DC & DCC operation.
At the moment I'm finding the most consistent information, and variety of fixes here,..
http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=mo...ww.wiringfordcc.com/switches_walthers_old.htm

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=mo...ww.wiringfordcc.com/switches_walthers_old.htm

Why NP22626? I don't need to do anything. As long as the route is aligned I have no problems. It's an insulfrog switch. I did have to expand the insulfrog with some nail polish.

George

Sorry, I misunderstood what you where asking. Your thread is titled "Walthers double crossover problems?" The title makes it sound as though you had a problem and I thought I was helping with information that I had determined quite some time ago.

Back