Walthers Champion Packing Plant

Terrific thread for this build. It looks like a nice solid kit, with plenty of options for customization. I feel bad that you had to deal with so many problems with management, though. Perhaps ownership should provide some resources and teaching moments for these persons so that morale of the construction workers and plant workers isn't permanently reduced.

Flyboy ...

Thank you for starting this thread.... The Walthers packing Plant is a great kit. For mine, I spray painted a flat brick color first. Then I added mortar. ... I have stock pens on each side with a alway behind the building so cattle can be moved to the ramp.

35781580125_63e80a02f7_b.jpg

(This is an older photo with shadows because at the time I did not know to turn off the flash. )

Yes, very nicely done! I have this same model; but, placed the powerhouse and chimney to the left of the main building. I had a friend who just passed away at 96 years young, who used to call on the Champion Packing Company is Dubuque, Iowa. He was a member of a Model Railroading Club that we both belonged to and built the Champion Packing Plant for the club. I was building mine at the same, time so we discussed the build quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only is this a great display of some fine modeling, it's a handy, step-by-step guide that will be useful for any number of other projects. Hat's off! And thank you for sharing your work!

Back