Walthers Champion Packing Plant

Thanks, Ken! I thought about trying to hide it with paint, but I was afraid I'd just make it worse. If I didn't have any other decals I would have done that. As it is I used some adhesive tape, burnished it onto the decal, and it lifted right off. The only paint under the decal is the light gray wash used to represent the mortar joints. I got the new one on. I used the MicroSet underneath of it, and MicroSol on top. It's drying right now. I'll give it 24 hours to dry and then seal down the edges.

... As it is I used some adhesive tape, burnished it onto the decal, and it lifted right off. ...

Excellent, I never would've thought about that approach - glad it worked out! I guess if the decals were sitting directly on the plastic (the raised brick surfaces) then the bond wouldn't be quite as permanent as it would have been on a fully painted surface.

Looking good, Flyboy2610! Are those two HO track diving boards to the right of the building?

Looking good, Flyboy2610! Are those two HO track diving boards to the right of the building?

I'm guessing you are referring to the wooden structures in the middle of the track? Those are Woodland Scenics HO grade crossings. There are pieces for the center of the track, and for each side outside the rails. There are two per pack, and they come with plastic shims to permit the crossings to be used with different codes of track. I will need to get some more to complete all the grade crossings.
They aren't glued in yet, they're just sitting there for purposes of positioning the structures.
Thanks for the compliment!

The decals are on,
the beef is hung,
there's nothing else,
I guess it's done.

Sort of says it all, huh? :p
As my pathetic attempt at poetry implies, I'm calling this one done for now. I got the decals on the three sides of the building that will show. The beef sides are painted and hung. The utility plant roof hatch is painted and installed. I can't think of anything else that has to be done at this time. Maybe at some point I'll weather it a bit, but for now I'm closing this one out.
Thanks for all your encouragement, suggestions, and kind words. Y'all is a right good bunch! :)

The finished plant.
001.JPG

A close up view of the front.
002.JPG

The utility plant roof and hatch.
003.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job, Flyboy2610! I see that Walthers no longer supplies a Butcher; or, two for pushing the Beef halves around on the overhead rail system! That is too bad!

Nice job, Flyboy2610! I see that Walthers no longer supplies a Butcher; or, two for pushing the Beef halves around on the overhead rail system! That is too bad!

Thanks, Mark! I haven't gotten around to looking for figures yet. If you find any that would work for this kit, I'd appreciate you letting me know!

Resurrecting an old thread. But I just ordered this kit to go along with the stockyard I recently finished. Looking forward to improving my process this time around.

Resurrecting an old thread. But I just ordered this kit to go along with the stockyard I recently finished. Looking forward to improving my process this time around.
Looking forward to a build thread of your model! I think the most tedious part was painting the trim on the building. I definitely recommend a lighted magnifier and a small paint brush.

That's great. Love to see a discussion continued forward with someone else's input.

Well, work has begun on the Champion Packing Plant. Doors and windows are in. I think the next step will be to paint the trim and add a little weathering. 1st time for all this.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2995.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2997.JPG
    IMG_2997.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 237
Nice build and good subject thread. I think I have some good pics of some other finished models of this kit somewhere on my old external hard drive. I'll see if I can find them. Another person on another forum once asked if anyone had pics of modifications that folks had made to the 'stock' Walther's New River Mining kit. I thought that was an interesting idea to see modification photos.

I'd like to see a thread similar to this one on the Saw Mill complex that Walthers put out.

Nice project!

Not sure if I commented before on the Meat Packing Plant. A friend of mine kit bashed two Champion kits and combined them on his layout. He also added several stock pens and the ice platform along the tracks adjacent to the facility.

This was an impressive feature on his layout. Lots of action with the arriving stock cars and the departing reefers.

Greg

Back