Walthers 90' turntable kit: Is it really a 'dog'?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi all,

Looks like Walthers is desperately trying to unload their 90-foot turntable kits ( http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/5-3171 ), they have them on sale for $26! Trouble is, I've heard alot of people say they positively hate these things. I don't know if it's because they are hard to mechanize, have poorly engineered parts, crappy instructions or whatever; but I've been needing some kind of turntable for a small engine servicing facility ever since I first designed my layout. At 90' it's a perfect fit, and that price makes it hard to resist.

I have no intention of motorizing it, I'm perfectly content to use 0-5-0 power:D And I'm no stranger to building complicated kits - I've done the Walthers Blast Furnace - so the assembly part doesn't worry me.

So tell me: Am I setting myself up for major frustration/dissappointment?

Last edited by a moderator:

NYC_George

Turn Table

Hi all,

Looks like Walthers is desperately trying to unload their 90-foot turntable kits ( http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/5-3171 ), they have them on sale for $26! Trouble is, I've heard alot of people say they positively hate these things. I don't know if it's because they are hard to mechanize, have poorly engineered parts, crappy instructions or whatever; but I've been needing some kind of turntable for a small engine servicing facility ever since I first designed my layout. At 90' it's a perfect fit, and that price makes it hard to resist.

I have no intention of motorizing it, I'm perfectly content to use 0-5-0 power:D And I'm no stranger to building complicated kits - I've done the Walthers Blast Furnace - so the assembly part doesn't worry me.

So tell me: Am I setting myself up for major frustration/dissappointment?
I have one and it works well motorized an all, but I did lots and lots of redesign. I'll post some details later on.

NYC_George

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I bought 1 at a train show for $5 & haven't put it together yet.
I bought 1 about 5 years ago & it was a bear to assemble. I redisigned it & made it work. If you can figure out how to put a set of steel wheels on the turntable & a rail to the bed wall for better control it would work like 1 of those $500.00 ones. The biggest problem I had back then was getting the gears to match up to the motor w/out a lot of noise, etc. If you're good w/complicated kits, $26 bucks is cheap from Walthers.

Larry

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Thanx for the replies, y'all! Sounds about like what I expected to hear.

Now about the instructions: Are they step-by-step, or just an 'exploded' diagram?

Man, I wish shipping to Canada wasn't so expensive. I'd pick one of these up.

One q - in the title bar it says "Turntable Kit w/ motor"...so is that a typo?

Mark

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
As luck would have it, my LHS (MB Klein) has the exact same TT on sale for $32; if I order it from Walthers direct, it's $26 + shipping = $33! So close, what to do? Well, I don't really need the thing right away, so if I go with Walthers I'll save a 90-minute round trip drive to Klein's as well as ga$ money.

BTW Mark, Walthers is aware of that online catalog typo - one of their saleswomen mentioned that they're 'working on' correcting it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I saw 1 at a train show about 2 years ago & they had added a pulley at the bottom where the shaft extends down & they powered it w/a 12v. windshield wiper motor out of a junk car. It really worked nice. The guy had made an indexing kit for it out of some junk. He was trying to sell it for $200.00.
It also had a pc. of brass track around the wall of the turntable & brass wheels mounted on the beam. So, I'm sure w/a little engineering of sorts U can make it work for you. I gave mine to a friend to put it together & he brought it back & said it was to complicated for him.

Larry

Zizzy I didn't built it per instructions. I made many changes. Right now I'm tring to finish my viaduct and adding a second main to the upper deck. I'll try and get it to you, but I can't tell you when. It will be a while.

NYC_George

NYSW F45

wow. if i didn't have to deposit all the paypal money i got from selling old ho stuff i'de so buy that right now. But still $26 for a turntable isn't bad. I may end up ordering one just to have for now. My future layout does call for one. Is 90' big enough for most modern diesels?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com