Wah Wah O scale

Marv

Finally received my much admired 3 truck Shay. I am so newbie, I did not know I have to get an Legacy control to run it, duh.
#2. Unaccustomed to reading anything "directions" I see the minimum radiius is 54" I have been working with a very small layout, only 42" wide. Any O Scale experts with suggestions? I can extend the layout to 8' and can now buy a Legacy control.
I am enjoying seeing all the interesting layouts from others. This forum has been very valuable to me so far. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Marv,

Although I model in N scale, your O Scale sounds great. Yep, you really need to read the fine print when buying stuff in this hobby, regardless of scale.

While I can't offer any suggestions, I hope that you can increase the size of your layout to accommodate a 54" radius and; therefore, be able to run your engine.

Finally received my much admired 3 truck Shay.
Unaccustomed to reading anything "directions" I see the minimum radiius is 54" I have been working with a very small layout, only 42" wide. Any O Scale experts with suggestions? I can extend the layout to 8' and can now buy a Legacy control.
So are we talking about real O-Scale (Proto-48), or "O-Scale" with two rail track, or is this O-Gauge (Lionel, MTH, Williams, etc. three rail track)? Is the minimum radius specified as O-54? I ask because O-gauge track is not measured in radius but rather diameter. O-54 curves would be a radius of 27". So you can see if this is three rail track O-54 is not nearly as unwieldly as one would think.

Last edited:
Thank you that is an interesting concept the engine is a Lionel therefore I am assuming they are talking 54 in diameter thank you for some continuing education

54" diameter makes more sense. That's one of the main things that real shays were known for, the ability to go around sharp curves, over steep grades and handle rough track. It makes sense that the model could handle sharp curves as well. However, the challenge is the drive train along the side of the loco, so that's why it need fairly wide (wide for three rail) curves.

I really liked the animation and different engineering of the Shay, and I needed a switcher. But, I am going to be happy with the 0-4-0 switcher and it will fit much better on my small layout. Also the specs state 031 for curves. I still don't know what I am doing, but having fun. It has been several decades since running my 027, kit built HO, then a short relationship with N gauge.

Back