Visit to Lionel Factory service center

Marv

Finally settled on and 0-4-0 little steam loco switcher. Got good service as always from MB Klein on the Lionel. I spent 2 hrs trying to figure it out and could not get it to run. MB Klein willingly gave me a return authorization but said they did not have a replacement. The Lionel Factory service is just 1/2 yr away. Wife, Pat and I made the trip, had a great time with a gracious host and most of the staff at the center. It educational and fun and it did take them a couple of hours to repair the new engine. All is well and can't wait for their annual November warehouse sale.

Attachments

• Pat at Lionel.jpg
    Pat at Lionel.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 351
A visit to the Lionel factory would be something I could go for! Where is this place and how far was it from you - I don;t understand "just 1/2 yr away"?
I still remember touring the Hershey, PA, candy factory and getting a free big box of all the products made there when I played VFW baseball in the 50's.

It was a pleasant coincidence, the impromptu tour of the Lionel service center. I have some ancient history with my first train my dad gave me for Christmas about 70 years ago. I am fussy and always worried about the three rails but no longer. Now I can easily see past this defect and other "scale" variations. For me, this makes a fantastic set up, finally realizing this is a "toy." I detail scale wise where I want to and am not concerned with the rest of the system. I have built HO and N which was a fun distraction, but leave it to the folks with smaller fingers.
The "factory" call it warehouse is about next to the serice center which for us is 1/2 hour drive from home.
If MB Klein which would accept a return but could not replace the engine I would not had the occasion to visit Lionel.
But Lionel was very cordial to accept the responsibility according to their generous warranty. I just showed the original invoice. I was impressed that instead of just trashing and replacing, like they do at the big stores, they took everything down, checked every componant in the engine until they fould the fault, a lose wire.

A visit to the Lionel factory would be something I could go for! Where is this place and how far was it from you - I don;t understand "just 1/2 yr away"?
I still remember touring the Hershey, PA, candy factory and getting a free big box of all the products made there when I played VFW baseball in the 50's.

Ha, didn't get free candy at Hershey PA but a memorable tour some years ago following trips to the Carlile PA car shows. BTW 1/2yr means same thing as 1/2 hr, on my keyboard.

Did Lionel move their facilities? The main offices are, or were, in Concorde, NC.

Concord NC is the PO address they are located across and adjacent 2 Charlotte Motor Speedway

Back