very old engine,

richard-$

I'm looking for some help.
I have a very old engine, that I would really like to re-power. I may make some flywheels for it and see if it runs any better, has anybody ever tried this.
Does anybody know what this engine is I mean who is the manufacture so I could get an appropriate motor with flywheels.
Any help in this manner would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2826.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't see going thru (what?) making and installing flywheels worth the effort... If you get the pickup ability as conductive as poss, lube what needs lubing, and it then runs OK, I'd leave it there..Also, it looks to be analog DC. If your RR is DCC are you going to add a decoder ? Are the couplers same as your other equipment ? Finally, are the flanges the earlier deep kind that hit the spike heads in your track ? It looks like it could be from that age.
If you really need another engine and can afford a say, Bachmann/Athearn/Atlas diesel, my vote is do that and cut your losses...You cold also keep this one on a dead RIP track near an engine house..
Good luck with your decisions.....M

Last edited by a moderator:
A brief Google search shows it to be a Lionel product from the early 60's, about the 1963 timeframe. I don't know much at all about Lionel, but someone will be along that does. Those are some interesting gearboxes!

I totally agree with MHinLA, it's likely not worth the trouble. If there's some other factor, like sentimental value or something, then maybe it's worth a try. But if it's just something you say, picked up at a train show, it likely won't be worth it.

Another factor to consider? Lionel HO is a bit of a collector's item. They're not worth a lot, found one on eBay for $40, but they're worth something. So maybe sell this one to a collector and use the funds to help cover the cost of a different one?

So I guess the next question is whether there's a reason you're sold on keeping this one running?

There are lots of motors that can be retrofit into this. I can only imagine that just about any modern can motor would run more efficiently. What it comes down to is: Is it worth it for you? You can pick up a Kato motor with flywheels for under $30 on eBay.

Back