Very basic questions on clubs

G'Day Tony....I'll make an executive decision , whoops , there I go taking over , But in this case I think it'll be fine that all of our Forum members are honourary members of the new club..Only one proviso is that if any of the members ever find themselves in Tasmania on vacation , that it is MANDATORY and Club rule N0 1. that they come up the east coast of the island state , to the Fingal Valley and visit us and as Jed Clampett would say , 'set a spell' and join in if that's possible .Any of the Forum crew would be most welcome anytime I'm certain .Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, you just might see me there one day! My god parents lived in Hobart, in fact, you might even know one of them - Bill Brundle, he used to be an ABC News Anchor in Hobart. Anyway, we also owned a holiday home about 30 minutes south of Davenport, be damned if I can think of the name the place but we were surrounded by Poppy Fields and some of the best security in the country. Wish we still owned the property now - if we did, it wouldn't take much for my wife and I to move back there.

Glad to be an honorary member, just hope I don't have to attend a monthly meeting to remain "active" :D

G'day Tony...Dear old Bill Brundle...He was without doubt a highly respected news reader for the ABC for a very long time...I wonder is he still alive...The city was Devonport but as you might recall Devonport on the Mersey River is surrounded by little towns full of holiday homes.so your place could have been in any one of a few locations. Devonport is the home now of Spirit of Tasmania 1 and Spirit of Tasmania 2...our two mainstream sea links to the mainland...They're classed as ferry's but they're really ships...and all the motor homers , and heavy truck freight comes this way..Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CunWm6BbWc Beaut trip over the 200 miles (320 kilometres ) between us and the rest of the country While in Devonport and as rail enthusiasts this little set up is well worth a visit..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EII_XKKO1V8 See the beautifully restored ALCO Hi hood 830...she's a beaut too The third link here is also Devonport but a video of recently retired DQ's from a couple of years ago as they do a locomotive swap over in the Devonport Yard close up.. I still like these old girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMfSkP3HO5c in the background you'll see one of the Spirits too... Cheers Rod.

Morning Rod,

That would be he ... as to whether or not he is still alive, I don't know. Last time I recall seeing him and the family was probably a good 35 years ago. I know he and Pat (his then wife) divorced and went their separate ways. The last time I saw Pat or the girls was almost 20 years ago.

All I remember about the house, holiday home was probably not the best description as it was something like 27 squares on 5 acres, was it was in a small country town about 30 - 45 minutes out of Devonport. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'd remember the name of the town even if I saw it - it has been a long time since we (well my family) owned it. Okay, I think the town was Sheffield, we were on the Devonport side of it.

Amendment, the town was Kindred, I think I can even identify the property from Google earth, but not sure. I guess I was wrong about being south of Devonport :(

G'day Tony and all...Sorry to hijkack my own topic...about Tassie....and Bill Brundle...Bill is apparently very well apart from dodgey eyes..Must be late 80's by now.. Any of those towns could be it...regardless of which , it's a beautiful part of the state..SO GREEN AND FERTILE IT'S ALMOST INTOXICATING...Did you see the YT links to the DQ's and the Spirits and the Don River Railway ...as well as the one for Bill...The ALCO 830 video in the Don River Railway has now been fully restored and in very recent videos , looks a million dollars in the AN (Australian National ) Tasrail green and yellow schematic. They were great workhorses...Don River , Derwent Valley , Emu Bay , Wee Georgie Wood and ABT Wilderness Railway are a few tourist train services in the State...and they do a great job of preserving and running the older locos..Don River have several...Good news on the Club idea...I've already had a bit of interest and i haven't even run an ad in the Valley Voice yet...Cheers Rod..

G'day Tony...Same photo I referred to...It says he can't see in one eye and partially in the other..but otherwise he's pretty good...Cheers Rod..

Have to apologize to mate, didn't mean the thread to side tracked either. I am trying to think, his oldest (Lynn) is my age to the day so yeah, he'd have to be in his early 80's at least I'd say. Still looks pretty good from the photo though.

That is good news on the Club front though - word of mouth is still the best form of advertising and marketing ;)

Back