using DCC in HO scale slot cars?

Hoppy

Hello all,
I know this is not a railroad question per-say but I will ask anyway....
On my HO scale layout I use "Vintage" (meaning old) Aurora Model Motoring slot car track as my road way. Do you think it is possible to wire N scale DCC chips, for power and maybe lights only, into these cars? I would love to be able to control the cars much like the trains, my worry is the magnets in the cars and the much more confined space I will be working with. Do you think the magnets will "wipe" out the DCC chips, anyone ever thought of this or tried it before.
Thanks for any suggestions

No problem. Slot Car hobbyists use DCC in their cars all the time. Most people mount their decoders (or in in N scale, ALL of them mount their decoders) on top of the motor.

No kidding, here I was thinking I was original LOL. Thanks for the reply Eric, I appreciate the information

Slot car hobbyists generally either use DCC or Scorpius (invented by a guy with the worst manners I've ever seen, ambitious, and a bit arrogant)

Scorpius was just released a few weeks ago so just a few are using it in 1/24 and 1/32 slot cars. Most 1/32 slot car enthusiast are using Carrera D132, NINCO N-Digital, SSD and SCX Digital. The decoder chips for these systems are too large for an HO slot car. I am not sure if the smaller DCC train decoders could be adapted to an HO scale slot car.

Best regards,
Brian

thanks for the replies, i Can get chips small enough, I just was not sure if having to post them so close to the motor magnets would damage the chips. Back "in the old days" you had to be careful with magnets (like sound speakers) near computer chips. was not sure if that was still an issue, but I guess not.
Thanks all for the information

I have a lot of experience with SCX Digital and NINCO N-Digital decoder chips which work fine when mounted near a traction magnet. The important thing is that the chips are insulated from anything metal.

Best regards,
Brian

Scorpius was just released a few weeks ago so just a few are using it in 1/24 and 1/32 slot cars. Most 1/32 slot car enthusiast are using Carrera D132, NINCO N-Digital, SSD and SCX Digital. The decoder chips for these systems are too large for an HO slot car. I am not sure if the smaller DCC train decoders could be adapted to an HO scale slot car.

Best regards,
Brian

He (the guy who invented Scorpius) came to these forums trying to pitch Scorpius as a replacement for DCC in trains. He was met with much resistance. (a few people saw what it could do, and pointed out that DCC in trains is more complex than DCC in slot cars due to the complex speed controls, lighting functions, etc and he basically told them off, calling them names and saying that he doesn't need their business. He also said that he doesn't give a rat's behind about DCC users, he thinks that his system is the way of the future and that his product is not targeted toward them so there will be no compatibility. People mentioned that MTH tried to do the same, and he brushed that off as well.)

If you do decide to go DCC, make sure the decoders you buy will handle the kind of current that slot car motors are likely to eat up. I suspect they're a lot hungrier than a locomotive can motor.

Back