Upgrading Power Supply

sixshootertexan

New to the forum so I want to say Howdy.

I have a Bachmann On30 train set in my son's room going around the ceiling. It's going on 8 years old. I just finished painting his room and cleaning the track and putting it back up. I have about 50' of track total with power supply connected at 2 locations. I noticed that it just doesn't run as good as it did when we first put it up. So I thinking it's time to upgrade to power supply. Any recommendations?
I was looking at this one.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXST13&P=SM

Assuming the tracks are really clean, the first thing I'd do is add some extra power feeders. Two feeders for 50' of track is not many, especially for On30, where you need more current for the higher draw motor. I'd add a feeder for at least every 10' of track, 5' would be even better. Try this first before you spend the money on a new power pack. It's always possible that the power pack is failing but those things pretty much last forever if they aren't abused and overloaded. If you do decide to get a new power pack, check e-bay first. A lot of modelers are switching over to DCC so they are selling some nice, top end MRC power packs very cheaply.

I was thinking of getting 2 more feeders. That would give me one on each side of the track. It's basically square. I cleaned all of the track while I had it down. I also cleaned the wheels. The caboose's light was flickering.I have not been doing Ebay much lately but I'll check it out.

Thanks

A new transformer won't hurt, since the ones that come with the Bachmann sets are on the cheap side. We've worn one out, slide switches quit working. More feeders should be used as mentioned. I've found the Bachmann 2-6-0 is a good runner and not a power hog but any lighted cars won't help. The MRC Tech 4 Model 260 that you linked to should be fine for what you have to run.

Greg

After cleaning every thing it's working better but not as good as should be. I will be picking up a couple more sections to connect to. I also will be replacing the wire to a heavier gauge. Later on I will get a better power supply.
Thanks for the help.

Back