Unfinished room, unfinished possibilities...

So here's the situation: This room has 4 walls, like many others. Only one wall borders on the rest of the house. The other 3 walls have nothing more than studs and lovely pink fluff in them. It's in a basement, of course, with ground level about 2 feet below the ceiling. I have to install a branch circuit and receptacles in all 4 walls, since there's not a single receptacle in the entire room.
So here's my question: Considering the great differences in temperatures we have here in Canadia (-50f to 100f), how should I finish the walls? Keeping the insulation, of course, would it be advantageous to drywall the room, or should I do something else that gives me access to the studs so it's easier to build benchwork? One thing to consider is that I've started construction on the wall that divides it from the rest of the house, so it's too late for a completely finished room.

First off, what is the size of this room/area of the planned layout?

Second what type of layout would you like to build, around room style, u-shape layout, what would you like to do with this layout?

I live in upper michigan, and we have a pretty good range of temp differences also, and my layout im currently building is in my basement, its not a heated basement but it doesnt get any colder then say 50 degrees, and in the summer it actually stays nice and cool, so i havent seen much expansion and contraction with my layout, i dont have track lifting off the table or anything silly like that...

My layout is actually in a corner of my open basement.

I think you are in a pretty good spot, since you didnt get to far ahead and have to back track for say building a background.

Its really up to you, if you went with L-girder I would think having just the studs up would benefit since it would make it easier to build your planned layout. You could also finish the walls and build a free standing table/bench work, not attached to the walls. I think a free standing helps alot with expansion/contraction issues since its not built with the structure of the house, its just built from the cement floor up...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an off the cuff idea if you want to use the wall studs to attach support for the benchwork. Do all your electrical, insulation, and drywall work but temporarily don't finish the drywall. This will leave the seams and screws exposed. Using 2x3 or whatever as your rail screw it along the walls at the height you want your benchwork. Easy because you can see the studs by the location of the seams and drywall screws. Once you have that in place then you can mud up the seams and screws and paint the walls. Basically you have installed a chair rail around the walls at benchwork frame height without a lot of hit ot miss as to whether or not you caught a stud. Takes a little planning as to what height you want but otherwise not much thought.

Our unfinished, unheated basement is my hobby area. I use it for building R/C aircraft and model railroad layout (progress is painfully slow on the layout). I'm in Massachusetts. Temperature fluctuations aren't the enemy so much as humidity is. My basement's humidity can range from 20% in the winter, to as much as 80% in the summer.

I don't have any construction advice for you, but I will say this: If you don't already have one, get a dehumidifier down there, it will really help to even things out.

Good luck!

I'm in a similar situation - Chicago, but 100% below grade. I've started an interior stud wall to divide off "my" area from the rest of the basement.

I'd advise you to do some research on the current best practices for framing and insulating basement walls if you're planning on doing that. Some building council is now saying that plastic vapor barriers, etc are prone to mold and mildew growth, along with potential structural damage, etc. The techniques that should be used vary by climate and whether you're below grade, etc. FWIW...

I am doing pretty much the same thing, starting from scratch and building the walls in the basement to serve the needs of the layout.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509
Scroll through the thread to see how I did this. The concept is to provide support for the layout that is up against the wall but to have the drywall in place as well for the scenery. Everything below the benchwork around the wall can be concealed with black plastic.

Back