UB unit spotted!

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Oh my, looks like a UB SD40-2 tagged along when this covered hopper headed west. :eek:
View attachment 10179

View attachment 10180

View attachment 10181

My recent "loot" from eBay. I snagged the UB SD40-2 and Eric was kind enough to throw in a covered hopper too! :D So far I plan to run this unit tied to a BNSF SD70MAC. The last article I read on the UB, when he switched to GE :( there was a write up about BNSF MAC's coming through on coal trains. My version of "history" has it that the SD40-2 (which are no longer on coal service according to Eric) was a trade, hour for hour for use of a BNSF Mac. Now that the UB has caught up movement wise, the Mac & the SD40-2 came west...

I was watching this auction, Enjoy! I was tempted to bid but just didn't know how I could justify the cost for a unit that didn't fit my layouts time frame by about 20 years.

Nice job, Josh. I always thought that Eric's Utah Belt engines were some of the nicest I've ever seen in pictures. Seems like they look pretty good in the flesh too. Nice hopper as well. How much did it set you back?

It set me back a whopping 3 Benjamins, but I feel it was worth it, to give me something I've loved to read about for years! Wish I could have gotten the Boxcar that was offered by his local NMRA group.

Wow! Three bills!!!!? Are these units superdetailed or something? They do look damn good I have to say, but 300? Is this from the same guy who was modelling the UB in MR a few issues ago or something? Not to be ignorant, but I was just wondering. At any rate, they should look great behind some MAC's!

-Rich

Yeah, same guy, Eric Brooman. There's not too much detailing going on, its more the name. It is detailed though, and weathered. The nose comes from a SD40T-2, and was done before the Athearn Snoot was available. It has a fairly new motor in it.

I say that was a good investment. I have always admired Eric B. work. He is a great modeler and I love reading his articles of the UB. Sweet acquisition josh you done good man! I would done the same if I new it was out there. Worth the 3 bens.....

Ya know, it would be awesome if Athearn would do some special runs of of these famous layouts. Such as when they did the MR&T units and cars, do some UB SD's and GP's and even railcars. Other model railroads like the V&O, AM, Ohio Southern, even the MK&Q. We all admire these guys, look up to them at the quality of the layouts. It makes us want to work even harder to achieve what they have done! I absolutely love the LBF UB hoppers I got, I love brooman's layout, and what he has done is absolutely incredible. Geez, even my wife, who doesn't get into this hobby thought his layout was incredible!

Ahem...since my wife is not looking...I would have paid the $300 too. The Utah Belt was one of the first "Protolanced" layouts and I think many of us have admired Eric's work over the years. It's not so much the locomotive itself but owning a piece of history. I think it would be really cool if Athearn or Walthers would issue some commemorative diesels in the roadnames of some of the famous model railroads.

Ya know, it would be awesome if Athearn would do some special runs of of these famous layouts. Such as when they did the MR&T units and cars, do some UB SD's and GP's and even railcars. Other model railroads like the V&O, AM, Ohio Southern, even the MK&Q. We all admire these guys, look up to them at the quality of the layouts. It makes us want to work even harder to achieve what they have done! I absolutely love the LBF UB hoppers I got, I love brooman's layout, and what he has done is absolutely incredible. Geez, even my wife, who doesn't get into this hobby thought his layout was incredible!

I scored a V&O boxcar on ebay a while back, mint in box, looked like an after-market decal job, very professional...

Ebay is a great place to find some of these. Thats where I got my Utah Belt LBF hoppers, and also got an Ohio Southern hopper from accurate finishing that was a special run sometime ago. Im still looking to get or custom decal some more hoppers for the UB to make a good size coal train. Currently I got 18 of the cars, would like to add a few more.

yeah but after reading the description of this loco there has been a lot detail work done to it including the weathering and re-powering. A real sweet loco in my humble opinion!

Hey Josh~

Just a heads up!

Do you get the MRR mag? Sept '08 issue on page 70 they revisited the Eric Brooman's Utah Belt...there are a few pics of SD40s in there but I dint see #3151 that you bought but not to say in isnt in on of the consists....

Back