Twist Ties?

Railrunner130

I've accepted the fact that my layout is in a long-term-temporary format. What that means is lots of plywood tables with track on it, due to two small daughters.

One of the big issues with a layout being like this is that the tracks will come apart with use. Running cars make it worse.

To combat this, I'm wondering if anyone has ever used either twist ties or zip ties to hold pieces of track together? I think twist ties would work better because they are reusable and can be more compact.

Thoughts?

My gut reaction is that zip ties would be too bulky (I use them for various other applications and while they are useful, I generally find them a pain to deal with) ... and that twist ties (you mean, like come with your bread bag?) have a metal spine through them that I would fear could risk a short-circuit.

Not sure exactly what your situation is, but would some kind of modular or sectional layout that could be bolted together, but with the tracks permanently affixed to the individual sections or modules, work for you?

Why not just use some latex caulk to glue the track down, and then solder the rail joiner connections.

I've accepted the fact that my layout is in a long-term-temporary format. What that means is lots of plywood tables with track on it, due to two small daughters.

One of the big issues with a layout being like this is that the tracks will come apart with use. Running cars make it worse.

To combat this, I'm wondering if anyone has ever used either twist ties or zip ties to hold pieces of track together? I think twist ties would work better because they are reusable and can be more compact.

Thoughts?

when I was in this stage (and for parts of my layout that are I change somewhat frequently) I use flat head thumb tacks. They don't look the best but they are easy to push/remove, inexpensive, and lay far short of the rail height and therefor have never had a loco get hung up on it. Instead of using them on every piece, I have often used the tacks on just enough track sections to keep it pretty firm in its place without spending alot of time doing so.

SC

Back