Turnout Control

BigD

Hello all,
I am curious about turnouts and DCC. I have not really managed to make much progress on a layout as I am stalled. If I buy a whole bunch of toggle switches then I can go DC, since I already have a dual cab MRC DC controller. However, I am thinking of going DCC but am curious about something. Will I still need SPDT switches to throw my powered turnouts? Or is there an ability to throw snap switches using one of the starter DCC sets. (I was thinking of the new MRC Express)

Thanks for any and all input.

Darrin

Depending on which DCC system you have, you can throw switches using the controller. You'd need to wire up electrical switch machines to a stationary decoder, which will actually control the turnout. Doing a small macro program can get you route switching; this is throwing multiple switches (usually two) for like switching tracks and things like that with one pushbutton.

This is the simple explanation.....

:D

Kennedy

If the DCC system can control accessory decoders, then you can control turnouts with such devices. Some brands handle both snap-action machines and slow motion machines like the Tortoise, other brands sell a seperate device for each type of swith motor (and Kato ones are different still, compared to Atlas and Peco).

I still like local control buttons or switches, I find it easier than trying to remember switch addresses. But I am using accessory decoders because I want to implement dispatcher control at some point. The accessory decoders I'm using are the NCE Switch-Its, which are made for Tortoise motors, and they have the option of local control pushbuttons, so i can operate them either way. NCE also makes the Snap-It for solenoid machines like Atlas, and it too has local control button inputs.

--Randy

We just ordered two Lenz 150 stationary decoders from Tony's for $40 apiece. They will control 6 turnouts each. That seemed like one of the better deals in the stationary decoder market. I'm looking forward to trying them out!

Grande man, I have 4 Lenz LS150's that I use with my Digitrax system and love'em. Read the programming instructions carefully the first time as they can be a little tricky (translation problem). After, you have successfully programmed them once, you will hit yourself for making it so hard. Ha! You can't beat the price/turnout.

If you have any questions with them, let me know.

I use the Switch-its on my layout to control the switches in the back part of the layout that are not that easy to reach. I have the push buttons on the facia board and as well have the macros set up for those who wish to use them. I created a small "cheat sheet" and taped to the back of the controllers to make it easy to remember. that way you don't always have to be near the buttons to throw the turnout.

RexHea said:
Grande man, I have 4 Lenz LS150's that I use with my Digitrax system and love'em. Read the programming instructions carefully the first time as they can be a little tricky (translation problem). After, you have successfully programmed them once, you will hit yourself for making it so hard. Ha! You can't beat the price/turnout.

If you have any questions with them, let me know.

I remembered you telling me how well they worked, that's one of the main reasons I went for the Lenz units. They are also a bargain. If we run into any programming problems, I'll give you a ring.

Back