Turnout Control on a for a Wye

hamtrain1

Hello. I have a layout that has a wye in it. Two legs of the wye are in a simple loop of track so my loco can go round and round. It's a long peninsula. The third leg of the wye goes down an adjoining wall, has a turnout going to industries, the main continues through this turnout to a balloon track further down that will route the loco back into the wye to re-enter the simple loop. Question------------I want to control the turnouts in the wye with some sort of a route control, that is; if I want to break out of the simple loop to run down the main to the balloon loop, I want to set both turnouts forming that leg of the wye to allow that, either by pushing one button, OR, maybe by DCC throttle programing. I prefer the button (or toggle switch) This will affect two turnouts remember. Also, If my loco is running in the opposite direction on the simple loop and I decide to depart the loop I would need to align another leg of the wye (2 turnouts) by a similar method. And of course to be able to still use the simple loop I would need to align the two turnouts on the third leg of the wye, or the loop side in similar manner. It gets more complicated with the fact that I want to manage these changes in alignment from either side of the peninsula. But I know how to wire for that. What I need to know is do I use a stationary decoder to throw any combo of two (2) of these three (3) turnouts? By the way, I am going to be using Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco turnouts. I have a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Perley :)

Gotta see a drawing of this to completely understand the layout and purpose. Just from what you describe I don't see a problem , it doesn't sound like a reverse loop problem where you'd need a reversing module.

What it boils down to, if I understand correctly, is with one button press you want to throw any two turnouts to set a path through one of the three legs of the wye. There are sveral ways to do this, but the easiest would probably be to get a Digitrax DS64 stationary decoder. It has outputs to control up to four switch machines, eight inputs, and eight routes. You can program it so that three of the inputs will control routes for the three legs of the wye. You can wire the inputs with more than one pushbutton in parallel so that you can have buttons on each side of the peninsula.

wye

Thank you Jerry and Willis, sincerely. I don't know how to get a drawing on here.

And thank you CSX Robert. You've hit it on the head. That's what I meant to say, just in a convoluted manner! haahaaaa. :p
That's exactly the scenario, a route thru either of the three legs. I called up the specs of the DS64, sounds like exactly what I need. :)
I appreciate that information and the help from all. Perley :)

to a balloon track further down that will route the loco back into the wye to re-enter the simple loop.
The Balloon track you refer to, would that be a reverse loop?
If I'm not wrong,(it's happened before) Tortoise Switch Machines are of the stall type volt/current can be on at all times. If this is so then it simplifies things. Do the Tortoise machines have switch contacts on them?

Willis

Yes the balloon track would constitute a reverse loop. Yes, Tortoise are a stall type machine, and yes Tortoise machines have switch contacts inside.

No push buttons unless they toggle. Has to be a toggle type switch as the Tortoise requires constant power to hold it where it's supposed to be. Just found out they each have 2 single pole double throw switches. Since they require about 3 seconds to fully operate I assume you plan on slowing or stopping the train until the points are fully closed.

Am on the right track so far?

Willis

I use a stationary decoder to throw any combo of two (2) of these three (3) turnouts? By the way, I am going to be using Tortoise Switch Machines and Peco turnouts. I have a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Perley
Guess I should have read your post to the end :eek:
Well I know very little about DCC and even less about a stationary decoder, other than it takes DCC function signal from the command station to activate it. Keep in mind that Tortoise machines require a constant current to hold the point rails closed, will the decoders supply that?
Do you plan on using auto reversers for both loops?
Afraid I can't help much with DCC at the moment, my first DCC system just arrived in the mail yesterday and I don't have even one decoder to try it. Switches I can do, decoders will have to wait until I have a little experience.
I do have a drawing started but it's getting complex.

Willis

Wye

Thanks Willis for researching that. Yeah, some of the power supplies I've found have a low negative voltage to machine all of the time, then when opposite track called up, goes to higher voltage on opposite side to make machine move, and so forth. That enables a push button, but you have to hold it in until machine moves over half way in it's travel. I probably won't get to the balloon track--reverse loop for another year, maybe. If ever! The simple loop and the industrial track will keep me occupied until I win the lottery!!! I think I have figured out how to run track out of the wye so that a reverse polarity doesn't happen. Studied long and hard on it. Many thanks for you and the others for all of that research and the suggestions. Regards, Perley :)

Hello,
I'm a total noob so forgive me if I'm not understanding the situation.
Couldn't the problem be solved by using an auto reversing module at the wye?
If so would the Digitrax AR1 be the way to go?

I'm interested in this because I'm planning on having 3 wyes on my layout and this is how I'd planned on handling the reverse current issue. I'm going from Page 29 of Mike Polsgrove's 'DCC Projects & Applications' book.

If I'm wrong please let me know! :eek:

Thank you,
a300mech

Wye

a300mech. Yes, I guess from what I know, the AR1 would do that for you (and me). But the polarity is not my issue. In the wye of course their are three turnouts. And in order to route a train or engine, one needs to throw two of these three. In my layout, the wye is at the inboard end of a pennisula, and I want to be able to activate (any) two turnouts to create a route (any one of three available) from either side of the penninsula, preferrably with the push of a button (for any route). In order to do that I think I would need switch machines (I have tortoise) and some kind of actuating relay device that would throw the machines/turnouts.
As CSX Robert has suggested, the Digitrax DS64 Stationary Decoder sounds like it would do the trick just fine. So I am working toward that end. Good Luck. Perley :)

Hi Perley,

Ah, I see now. Glad you've got a solution. Since one of my wyes will be on the main and will be getting a lot of use maybe I should also try that. :)
Anyways, happy railroading!

I found the AR1 totally useless, it needs to be carefully adjusted for each loco and each loco draws a different amount of current. I went with DCC reversers from Tony's train exchange.

Ken.

I don't know how that DCC gizmo works, but I wonder if it's capable of setting the same turnout to normal or reversed based on two different inputs (where an "input" is the leg of the wye that's wanted, rather than an individual turnout). But maybe it can.

If I were doing this, I'd drive the Tortoises electronically, with each one operating between the outputs of 2 op amps, which would be self-latching. Then it would be quite easy to drive the inputs to the amps with a circuit which would be essentially a diode matrix. In fact to keep things symmetrical you could say "each input will set one turnout reversed and one normal". Sort of like paper, scissors, stone.

For hamtrain1
OK back to the original problem. With my limited knowledge about turtle switches and DCC this is what I've come up with from sitting around and doing much of nothing. The switch motors will have to be powered with DC or else it wont work
You'll have to decide which terminals on the switch motors will put the points for the right direction. This can probably be improved on so if you have something better just chime in :D

Cheers
Willis

For CBCNSFAN. And I thank you for that diagram. I got a vapor lock, your drawing shows as if there are three contacts on the Tortoise Machines. In fact there only two for motor operation. Could you clarify that please. I am embarrased to be so dense, but it's the truth! :) Perley

Back