Tunnel portal

Goldnut

I have a wall that I need to make a tunnel through. I am looking for the smallest tunnel that I can safely put through the wall. This will be a double track in O scale. I did find a portal on a site that has a dimension on the inside of 8 1/2w X 6 1/2h. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Ken

Ken - Not having O-gauge or even having one in my hands for many years, I don't know the width of a double track or height needed, but maybe you could make it out of a piece of 8" or 10" PVC pipe.
It's just an idea. :rolleyes::)

Jim, Not as concerned as to the material for the tunnel as much as I am the size of the hole in the wall. I need to be careful here as this is a beam that I will need to reinforce afterwards. Im confident I can make this work but want to keep the hole as small as possible. Thanks for the tip...I may use it on the other two tunnels.

Jim, Not as concerned as to the material for the tunnel as much as I am the size of the hole in the wall. I need to be careful here as this is a beam that I will need to reinforce afterwards. Im confident I can make this work but want to keep the hole as small as possible. Thanks for the tip...I may use it on the other two tunnels.
Remember I told you about my old neighbor that had the O gauge going thru the wall? He had a NMRA gauge and used a drywall hole saw. The base was 3/16" hardboard with cardboard for the inside of the tunnel. The hole was as small as it could be and still be within NMRA standards.

Not being an O-gauger, I could give you my best guess. But it would be better if someone with O experince answers that. If your running long engines and cars, like passenger, make sure both tracks can pass on curves with out touching and then I'd give it some more room. Never know if in the future you might get extra long locos or car/s.

Back