Tsunami 2200 Decoder and LED Headlights

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
OK, here's a stumper. Digitrax DCC system. JMRI Decoder Pro.
I installed a Tsunami 2200 in a U25 diesel locomotive. The lights that were in the model flashed real quick when I first applied power to it then didn't work after that. I measured the voltage of the white and yellow leads and it's about 14 volts. The bulbs must have been low power LEDs. I replaced them with 3 mm, 12 volt LEDs with resistors. They light up but I can't turn the backup light off and the headlight only dims a little when the loco is in reverse. I used the JMRI Decoder Pro to toggle them to LED but still no change in the function.
Measuring the voltage at the leads with the LEDs removed shows about 14 volts that goes to zero when the lights are turned off or the loco direction is changed.
What the heck is going on here?

Ken, you may have damaged the decoder when you first powered up the lights that were in it. They probably had incorrect resistance. Soundtraxx has a “goof proof” warranty for a period of time, I’d give them a call, let them know what happened, and get an RA for the decoder for repair.
If it makes you feel any better, I dis this last week with a PCM engine and non sound decoder. Now my rear headlight won’t turn off using the function key, but will turn off when I change its direction.

I think you are correct. I sent a message to Soundtrax and they responded with the same conclusion. So much for plug and play.

Last edited:
I don't know about the 2200 decoder, but the Tsunami2's supply 12V to the usual lighting connections, which is rather strange, considering the original Tsunamis only supplied 1.5V for bulbs. As far as plug and play is concerned, that seems to refer to the fact that there are still the tabs on the ends of the board replacement decoders to use those plastic, push on clips. They, and the Econami board types, all start with the prefix PNP.
To me, plug and play involves plugs on the ends of a wiring harness. I've only done a couple of the PNP-TSU2 decoders so far and I found I had to do a really good read of the installation instructions and assume nothing would be as before.

Ray, the only Tsunamis I know of that had 1.5v lighting outputs were the GN type, for Genesis engines with bulbs. All the others put out 12v. I'm not entirely sure about the T-2s.

Ray, the only Tsunamis I know of that had 1.5v lighting outputs were the GN type, for Genesis engines with bulbs. All the others put out 12v. I'm not entirely sure about the T-2s.
You made me go and look at the info that came with the TSU-1000 decoder I put into the Atlas SD35. It doesn't even mention a voltage for the function outputs, only a maximum 100mA current and a Max track voltage of 27V.

The Tsunami2 TSU-PNP's, I installed in the MTH ACe's shows on the wiring diagram that all the function outputs suit 12V lights. At the rear end of the function soldering pads down the side, the last one is marked V1. This is the 1.5V common terminal for bulbs, if being used. You're told to refer to Technical Notes 17 &18 for 1.5V bulb and LED wiring diagrams. (I remember doing that but have now forgotten what they were)

Back