Tsunami (1st edition) TSU-1000 Hyperlighting settings

tootnkumin

Staff member
Trying to figure out the CV values and whatnot from the Tsunami "Setting the Hyperlight effects" section in their manual. As per usual lots of page flicking back and forth, trying to get my head around it. The TSU is a replacement for a Tsunami decoder for a "Bowser" loco that was made for LED only lighting, that had been used and was not very good. The TSU is not of course and the LED's I used (2 only, headlight and Mars) were Atlas ones. I used 1000 ohm resistors on the negative legs. The Mars light (F5) is plenty bright enough, but the headlight (F0) has never been bright, oddly enough, with either of the decoders. I'm sure I read somwhere that the brightness of the LED could be CV adjusted. F7 dims it slightly more and I notice, the Mars simultaneously. Can't find anything in the manuals section about adjusting the brightness. It does talk about an LED Compensation Mode, but stuffed if I can make sense of it. It seemed to indicate that 128 should be added to the CV controlling the H/light (CV49) which by a chart on the next page appeared to indicate a V of 0, default. No luck.

The other thing I want to do is have the Mars light working as well.

A question regarding the wiring of an LED to support Mars light function. The bulb it is replacing had 3 wires, presumably 1 common and 1 each to each of the filaments that provided the simulated rotational effect. In the case of ditch lights, either bulb or LED, the effect is controlled by both F5 and F6, sending the apropriate commands to each light source as determined by the CV settings. Does that also mean that 2 LED's would be required to produce a Mars light effect, or is a single LED capable of producing the effect by having both F5 and F6, wired to the same leg of it and having (somehow) the functions adjusted to share the effect control. At the moment I only have the F5 connected to a single LED.

Whist trawling for a how to on my Mars light problem, I came across an old MR forum thread on the very issue from 2004 and the contributor did use 2, 2mm LED's behind the 5mm lens of the Mars to achieve the effect, apparently very well (his P/bucket videos were no longer available). A name came up in the conversation. MarkR. Wherefore art thou Mark, I need your input.

As for the H/light, I did get some 1.8mm LED's from ebay a while ago that were said to run on 12-18V. I tried one hooked up to my DC controller and at max power (presumably 12V or thereabouts), it was really bright. It also dimmed progessively when turning down the Volts. Just took another look at them and they do have a resistor in one of the leads. Maybe I'll replace the LED I've used. If it's still not bright then there must be a CV that adjusts the voltage supply as well, because at 14V, it should be super bright. I'll connect one to the DCC track to check first???

One more for the backburner, till I can get some more info on how. Oh, well (My version of Sigh!)

Back