TrueLine C-Liners

toasteroven

Karten, bitte.
Longtime lurker :)

I recently got back into the hobby after being out of it for nearly a decade. I'm in the process of getting my materials together to get started on my layout (and a shoutout to the people who contributed to the layout section here on the forums, I'll be posting my plans shortly!), and at around xmas time I blitzed the local model store and got my hands on as much as I could (they had a 50% off sale!). I plan on having primarily CP locomotives, as I grew up in a town that had a large CP maintenance yard, and I'm going to be modeling that. However, DCC and sound are completely new to me and sucked me right in. I *must* have a DCC layout and I *must* have sound! So, to complement my CP-only layout, I thought it would be nice to have a period-specific passenger train to run through the layout as well. Which brings me to the point of posting this in the loco forum.

I bought one of TrueLine's very nicely detailed C-Liners, in 50s green/yellow CN livery with both factory DCC and sound. I was hoping I could upload some photos and clips of (IMO) this great loco... until it went mysteriously dead on our club layout for no reason a month after I bought it. So, back to TrueLine it went... and that was about a month ago.

Anyone had any bad experiences with TrueLine C-Liners? I certainly didn't expect my first post on the forums here to detail a problem, but I'm not too impressed at this point. We run all sorts of brands on our club layout (Atlas, Blueliners, Proto1000/2000, etc) and have never had, nor can duplicate the problem that befell my loco, even with an identical C-Liner.

Already tried the basic stuff before sending it off; tried reset with wand, reseat all connectors, tested with multimeter, etc. It just stopped working.

From a fellow canuck, welcome! :)

I am assuming it is/was DCC - did you send a reset packet to the decoder to set it back to default?

I had an engine go "dead" whereas it would not respond to DCC commands but it did have power (lights were on, engineer wasn't home). It had received a command somehow that set a consist address to it. A reset cleared it all up.

Mark

Mark is right, but it could have been several other possibilities. Dirty track, dirty wipers, faulty wipers, broken wire, bad rail joiner or feed wire failure, bad connection between A/B sets if there are the two.

A decoder reset is always the first recourse if pressing on the track on either side of the engine, and also gently lifting or pressing the engine(s) themselves doesnt' restore power temporarily. I just had to do my first QSI decoder reset in over a year. I had a momentary short that the hardware neutralized when the circuit breaker went as designed, but when I restored track power one steamer was back at full volume and not wanting to move. I could blow its whistle and ring the bell, but it woudn't respond to commands to move. So, a quick reset and some CV switch setting had me in business in about five minutes.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Hello canucks!

Yeah, tried a decoder reset - nothing. No sound, no lights, no movement. Totally dead. Frustrating.

I'm a little concerned that TrueLine isn't returning my calls though.

Hi there toasteroven and a big welcome to a friend from up North way ! How about some Pea Meal bacon ? Really love that stuff !!!

Back