Traveling and Trains

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I'm on another Harley sojourne for a few weeks. I rolled into North Platte, NE this afternoon and spent a few hours up in the Golden Spike Tower watching trains. Absolutely awesome view of the engine facility and part of the classification yard.
Sitting in my Motel 6 room tonight trying to decide where I want to head tomorrow.
Should have something figured out by the time I have the bike loaded up and about to pull outa the parking lot in the morning.

North Platte....I spent a week up there one day. I was working for a large insurance company and had to set up a catastrophe team after a bad hailstorm.

Actually not a bad town. Not knowing which direction you're headed or came from There is a really nice train store in Deshler, NE (Spring Creek Model Trains). West of Hebron on US 136.

I stopped in Green River, WY for the night. Got a room facing the tracks so I can watch trains for a while. Also having dinner at The Hitching Post Restaurant with an outdoor seat just 100 yards from the tracks. I just might hang around here all day tomorrow.

Followed the tracks for awhile on I-80 until it turned away from the tracks going to Ogden, Utah. Made it to Kingman, Arizona today then followed the BNSF tracks all the way to Seligman, Arizona. I got a room for the night here then went back out and sat by the main line for a few hours watching the train show. There is a great train watching spot just east of Seligman on the side of Route 66. It's just a small pull-off area no more than three car lengths long, but it's an elevated view of the tracks and you can see at least 3 miles in each direction.

I extended my room stay for another day here at Seligman to watch trains.
Temps are in the mid 70s going up to the mid 80s later today.
Sitting track side for another parade of BNSF business.

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. Seeing a lot of these.

thumbnail_20190829_160313.jpg

You may have a chance to wave at my neighbor from Laughlin when I lived there. He was in Desert Storm (can't remember if I flew him there, or back?) Anyway, he later went to work for BNSF on the Needles Sub as a conductor. Just visited with him a month ago for a few hours while I was in town there. He once worked both directions from Needles, but now only does the Winslow run and back - 12 hours vibrating to/from Needles. He told me of spending a few layovers in Seligman from time to time. He turned down the promotion to engineer - said working as a conductor gave him the trips/time off/vacations and other perks that he would lose as an engineer.
What time does the Super Chief come thru? I would guess about 2-3 AM?

There are 2 Super Chiefs, east bound and west bound. East, #4 goes through here about 4am. West, #3 about 2am.
A BNSF highrailer is on the tracks here now so I came back to my room for a few hours.

Back