Track to Track Spacing

wvg_ca

semi flaccid member
Looking for a bit of input on Track to Track Spacing...
read the NMRA pages, they helped some, but still not 'real sure'
From what I can tell, on average, they prefer around 2 1/16" on straight, and on 18 / 20 " curves, it increases to 2 3/8" ...
I don't intend to run any larger units that 4 axle loco's, and max 50' rolling stock, and don't intend to add 'switch stands' on turnouts.. [basic intent for turnout indicators is small low mount led units of some type]..even though it may not be 'prototypical' I think I would rather have a lit indicator as opposed to other types..
On the old layout [really tight], I had about 1.5" on straights, and 1 3/4 on curves, it was close, but no 'scuffing'..
Was hoping to finalize around 1 7/8 on straight, and 2 1/8 on curves..because of room size considerations and placement, most new curves will be in the range of 18 to 20" ...
Are any of you using around the range of 'tighter' track placement?? and if so, how is it working out for you??

thanks...:)

I have a large layout & my straights are 2" from center to center on the tracks. My curves are 2&1/2" to center. I run long cars & long diesels & sometimes I think they're going to hit, but never do.

Mock it up on a counter or on a bench and determine for yourself what will work as a minimum for the items of rolling stock you intend to use. Give yourself some room to grow if there could be even larger/longer items on your railroad in the future.

-Crandell

>>>
Give yourself some room to grow if there could be even larger/longer items on your railroad in the future.

..I do have larger locos, six axles and steam 2-8-2.. types, as well as larger rolling stock, passenger cars and stuff like 86' boxcars... but [in my opinion] on any curve less than, say 28 to 32" radius, they just don't 'look right', way too much overhang off the center line of the track...
My larger stuff is in a box, and probably will go on ebay or something, a local fellow pickup up a couple of dozen a while ago, and other larger stuff like spline cars and TOFC cars...
As I don't have a great deal of room, the smaller stuff gives the impression of a 'larger' layout..

With 40' cars a 1 3/4 spacing gives just over 1/8" of clearance [minimum], 50' cars clear by less than a 1/16"... this is on a three track loop with 18" radius as the outside [or largest] loop, which is what I have now on the old layout..

Myself, I find that I prefer a tighter / busier / layout with a higher than average percentage of track / scenery [or structures]...

In the photo below, the track spacing is 1 3/4", with the center track being 18" sectional...
The second photo has a near / far center to center track spacing of appx 34", just less than 18" radius, [on the outside track]..
I limit my rolling stock to the 6" coupler to coupler range, larger units with a 7 1/2" coupler to coupler distance 'scuff' on the curves once in a while..even with smaller units on adjacent tracks... the distance for center to center on the right side of the photo is appx 1 7/8"

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the cork roadbed, I think you can butt the edges up against each other for your straight sections and not have a problem. It's the curves that you have to determine by trial and error.
As mentioned in an earlier post, allow yourself to grow with longer locos and rolling stock.

I hadn't actually though about what to use for roadbed yet, but using cork and letting it butt against each other for the straights would make it a lot easier to lay down in those areas, and would be a little easier just to space the cork a bit in the curves, should save some time ..)

on the old layout I used 3/4" blue structural foam as an underlay, with no other roadbed, and once I ballasted the track itself, I used a small hobby propane pencil to heat up the foam and let it shrink down between the tracks before I glued the grass down..

Using cork roadbed on the main and then 'half thickness' cork sheet on the sidings and switch areas would probably give a better finished appearance as well..

thanks!

I have a large layout & my straights are 2" from center to center on the tracks. My curves are 2&1/2" to center. I run long cars & long diesels & sometimes I think they're going to hit, but never do.
I have mine about this same distance in the straights, but my curves are around 2 3/4" depending on the radius. Curve spacing is critical and again, the distance of separation is dependant on radius, length of rolling stock, and very much the type/length of locomotives. Crandell has the best idea in building a mock-up or temporarily lay your track to your radius and testing your stock and locos on it.
Also, the tighter your straights the more difficult it will be to rerail a car when cars are on the parallel track. Make sure this won't create a problem. Remember to think about what you may have in the future ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam & close track clearance.

Remember one thing about close track clearances the cabs of steam engines kick out a lot farer than you think.

NYC_George

Back