Track, roadbed questions....

jetdriver

Good to see ya'll again....

Couple quick ones here:

1). I want to use Code 83 flex-track throughout my layout as I see this as the easiest as far as custom fitting to the plan requirements I've developed. Can you guys recommend a place online to purchase Ho scale code 83 Flextrack for the cheapest price and should it be Atlas or another kind? I know Ebay sells stuff, which I've been watching, but whats a reasonable fair market price for sections of it?? Also so weirdo's out there on Ebay!! Looking for a more trustworthy purchase spot I guess is what I'm getting at.

2). I'm using WS's grass vinyl mat for my base, glued to the top of a 1/2" foam sub-roadbed. Next I'll do my roadbed with ballast rocks added to it for realism. Which type of roadbed do you folks recommend between the stuff available, cork, foam, etc. ?

3). Finally, Gonna need to an incline (risers) and a bridge. Looking for anyone that has done this in a 4x8 space and can suggest a good product to use.

Tks so much, ya'll take care!!
-Jdriver
Edit/Delete Message

I use all atlas flex track I get mine at a local shop for 3.00 a section. You can usually find it cheaper on the net but i never feel like waiting =). Woodland sceincs foam roadbed is what i use, it is a little pricy but I feel it is worth it. For risers woodland scenics foam riser are the best imo.

Flex track is really a matter of what you want compared to what you want to pay. Atlas code 83 is the least expensive but also looks the least prototypical. Model engineering track looks much better but it takes some practice to work with. In terms of the cheapest price for any of these, e-bay is still a good place to look. The vast majority of people selling trains things like flex track are really dealers and very reliable. I use Hobbylinc (http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/u.htm) because they are usually at least 30% off retail and their customer service is really good. You can spend a lot of time chasing down the cheapest price for flex track and, on a 4x8, you'll save maybe 10 bucks.

Unless you really have to, I wouldn't use a grass mat for scenery. It doesn't look very much like anything in real life and it makes doing things like placing roads more difficult. No matter how well you glue it down, it tends to come up in places that are always the hardest to reach. I'd concentrate on getting your track laid, wiring done, and your trains running perfectly before I started on scenery.

Cork or WS foam roadbed are the two most popular choices for roadbed material now. Cork is cheaper but it's also noisier and requires more work to cut an lay. The WS foam roadbed is more expensive but it absorbs sound better and is easier to cut and lay. Again, on a 4x8, the cost difference is about one meal at Burger King. :)

You need to look carefully at your layout to determine how much space you have for a grade to a bridge. Assuming this is a bridge crossing other tracks, it should be at least 3 inches above the roadbed of the lower track, which means about 4 inches total. You should always try to keep grades down to 2% or less. The formula for calculating grades is 100 inches of run for every 1% of grade. A 2% grade will require 50 inches, or about four feet, on BOTH sides of the bridge. That means 8 feet of your layout will be eaten up by the grade. If you still want to go ahead and give it a shot, at least use WS risers. They are made of foam and will give you constant grade of 1% to 4% depending on which model you buy. This is much easier than trying to build risers yourself and a smooth, constant grade will give your engines the best chance for maximum tractive effort on the grade.

Tks so much Mike and Jim for the great info! Appreciate your time! Definitely some things for me to think about, especially the grade addition to my layout. Jim I've noted your calculations and will plan it accordingly if I still choose to add the grade's. Tks for the reference! I'm actually using an offshoot of the cookie cutter method and taking the track outside the standard 4x8 dimensions horizontally even though I'm using a 4x8 foundation. Not really building a certain historic railroad, but more of pushing the boundaries to further my knowledge, challenge myself, and do something totally custom instead of following the ol' standard 4x8 layout done 9million times. Giving me a chance at some great woodworking as well!!
Anyway thanks again fella's!
Take care-

Back