Track Insulation Needed with DCC?

dank

Hello, all: I am building a 4x8 HO layout from scratch(my first since 1973). It will have two mainline loops with the inner loop connecting to a figure eight. It will also have one or two side tracks. I am using Atlas Code 83 Flex Track and Peco Code 83 Small Radius Turnouts. Do I have to insert plastic rail joiners? Where? Why? Are there strategic locations for placing the feeders which will connect to the Bus wires?
Thank you very much for your time.
Dan

Hi There!
If you place the plastic rail joiners on the two inside Frog rails of the turnout, you will not have a short when you hook the turnout up to the rest of your track. You must however make sure that you get power feeder wires to all the track coming into and out of the turnout. If you don't do this, any track beyond the turnout will be dead.
If you are just creating a single track siding which does not connect to anything, you can use the turnout as a power routing turnout and you do not have to isolate the frog to prevent an electrical short. The siding will be non powered unless the turnout is lined up into it.
From your description, I am wondering if you are not somehow creating a reverse loop? If you are, then the wiring becomes a little different again. A track diagram would help if you can post it! Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks, Ken and C Liner. C Liner, I will have a reverse loop, and I will buy a device to handle the polarity issue(a transponder, correct?). I do have a layout plan, but I don't have it on the computer. It is actually an Atlas plan that I modified only slightly.

Dan

I didn't look closely enough at the 'fine print' in your question and I wound up 'rambling' too much:eek: , I didn't want to add to your confusion so I deleted my reply.

dank said:
Thanks, Ken and C Liner. C Liner, I will have a reverse loop, and I will buy a device to handle the polarity issue(a transponder, correct?). I do have a layout plan, but I don't have it on the computer. It is actually an Atlas plan that I modified only slightly.

Tony's train ex has a auto DCC reverser, which I use and has run flawlessly so far.

If your making a figure 8 then you'll have two reverse loops ( four turnouts off the inner loop? ) You can use one reverser for two loops but you can't have two trains crossing the insulated joiners at the same time.

Both lines need to isolated at each end of the loops.

Ken.

Dan,

I've been thinking about your description and I cannot see how your track plan will fit on a 4 x 8 sheet. Can you post a track plan? If you don't have one there are a couple good free track planning programs availible.

Back