Track connecting question

johnnym

I am new to this forum but have been building a collection of N-scale European trains for quite some time. I have all Fleischmann track on my layout.
I have moved a few times and had to dismantle and reassemble my layout so the joints have loosened causing some occasional and random connection issues. My layout has changed and grown over the years also. I am now in a location that I plan to stay in and would like to make permanent connections with the track.

I would like to make solder joints but have only tried a few sample joints and I am not satisfied with the results. I tend to have to overheat the rails to get the solder to flow causing some melting of the rail bed on the Fleishmann track.

Can anyone advise me if soldering is an option and if so are there any tricks to get a good joint?

JMS

Soldering is a great way to make sure that there is good electrical contact between sections of rails. After learning some basic skills, soldering is easy.

Google soldering model railroad track jointers and you're find many sites and videos to help you along.

Remember, a clean, hot soldering iron along with using flux on clean material , makes soldering easier.

Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4yVy83CrJw

PS: This video doesn't show the use of a flux which helps the melted solder flow into and on the joint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back