Track Cleaning: Pulling all stops

Interesting, seen them but keep forgetting about them. May just have to try a set.

Ken:
Only one Monkey to a train or use more?

Thanks.

Greg

Interesting, seen them but keep forgetting about them. May just have to try a set.

Ken:
Only one Monkey to a train or use more?

Thanks.

Greg

Use all ya want. I have been running them for a few years now and with all the people who have looked at my trains at home, at the club layout and at the modular shows, only one person noticed them.

Ken: Could post a photo or two of them in action. They maybe or are the answer for clean track without using any liquids.

Thanks.

Greg

Here are a few pictures of the dust monkeys.
Simple design and they just clip onto the axle of the rolling stock. Easy to clean. Just pull it off the axle and wipe it off with a rag or paper towel and a little paint thinner.

DM 2.jpg

You can put one at each end of the car.

DM 3.jpg

When they are in place, they are hardly noticeable but are cleaning the track when the car is moving. They can drag over the track or be pushed over the track.

DM 1.jpg

Thanks for the info. Think I'll have to put some on my next order to MBK.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ken: Thanks for the photos and info. I'll be sure to order a set when I go to Walther's the next time. Looks like they would do the job I need to do.

Thanks again.

Greg

I use a rag with alcohol for track cleaning. However..... just the other day I was in a LHS and observed tennis balls sitting near the layout. I asked the gentleman working there what they were used for. He said that they use the tennis balls to clean track. He then proceeded to show me how he drags the tennis ball over the track by hand. WOW... he got a lot of dirt off the track. He said that when the tennis ball becomes dirty from cleaning... he throws it in the washer and reuses them. I have never heard of this before. One concern I asked about was the possibility that some "fuzz" could come off the tennis ball while being dragged over rail joints. The gentleman said that has never been an issue. Has anyone else ever used or heard of using tennis balls to clean track?

I would be concerned about the diameter of a tennis ball hitting scenery and other details close to the track while cleaning the track. Seems to be a bit bulky in size to use as a track cleaning tool.

Greg

Dave: I just purchased a set of Dust Monkeys and attached one to a car and left run. Running on track that was cleaned several weeks left some black marks on the Monkey.

I will add several more to cars and I believe they will work great and will keep the dust and grim from forming to the point it affects electrical conductivity.

I'll continue to use my A Line Masonite under car pads for cleaning and use them with the Monkeys.

Not sure that my Center Line roller track cleaning cars with dry pads wouldn't do the same work as the Monkeys, but then they are track cleaning cars and the Dust Monkeys are almost invisible when installed and can run in a train undetected.

Will recommend the Dust Monkeys.

Greg

I posted this over in the Coffee Shop a week ago. I've been using "Dust Monkey's" for around three years, and I am very satisfied with them. I have one on each of my eighteen cabooses so almost every train cleans as it goes. They are a great and easier way to duplicate the old masonite cars.

Willie

Back