Track bed

This sort of reality modelling is where "Cookie Cutting" and open frame layout bases came into being, where the trackwork can follow realistic grades and levels and the associated scenery can do whatever the builder wants or can imagine.
I like to go one step beyond cookie cutter to a total open grid. The sub-roadbed becomes truly the roadbed grade.

I like to go one step beyond cookie cutter to a total open grid. The sub-roadbed becomes truly the roadbed grade.
Open grid/open frame basically means building a base that will be below the level of the topography of the trackwork and scenery built above it, we could call it the "bedrock". There's no doubt this method requires more work and increases the compexity of building a layout and need more forward planning of how a layout will finish up, but it also can make modifications later easier too, say in the incorporation of a ravine and bridge not previously allowed for.

Open grid/open frame basically means building a base that will be below the level of the topography of the trackwork and scenery built above it, we could call it the "bedrock". There's no doubt this method requires more work and increases the compexity of building a layout and need more forward planning of how a layout will finish up, but it also can make modifications later easier too, say in the incorporation of a ravine and bridge not previously allowed for.
Yes, but even at that I had issues with the "lower than grade" stuff that got close to the edges.

Back