Tortoise switch machines power require

12v 500ma

Wayne I have 14 and power them with a Radio Shack 12v 500ma. I think I read some where they take a very little power to run.

NYC_George

tortoise switch machine power

Wayne,
I just purchased a pack of 12 machines (cheaper that way) and the directions show three ways to hook them up. It states that 30 switch machines will draw 15-16 ma. at stall (they work by being at a constant stall position when thrown but use very little power while doing so) so they can be powered by, and I quote, "a single 9 or 12 volt, 500 ma wall plug adapter available from Radio Shack."

A second way is to use two similar DC power packs, hooked up together, of not more than 12 volts each.

The third is using an AC source with the voltage being at 14-16.

The three ways show how you can wire it with different switch and wiring configurations. Any of the three will work, it's just which is easiest for you. I'm using the first one since it involves fairly straightforward wiring using DPDT toggle switches. My old transformer (which I use just for my switch machines) has both AC and DC hookups, both of which are adequate for powering my machines.

The directions, concerning power sources, wiring, and switch usage, came with my Tortoise machines when I bought them.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks guys. So I take it that AC or DC are fine. Which is prefered? I will check our set up but what concerns me is a humming noise. We are using a powerpack which has variable DC an fixed AC. The layout is at my sons home so I cant look at it right now. We were wiring last night and the hum started but I hate to start pulling edge connectors to try isolating. Thought maybe it was a power issue.
Wayne

Note that if you use AC you'll have to have diodes in series with the controls for the Tortoises. That's because the actual motor in the Tortoise runs on DC. The type of diode to use is very cheap, however.

If you use DC off a single supply, you'll need double pole (reversing) switches to control the Tortoises. With two supplies, you only need single pole switches.

Tortoise Switch machine require power

Wayne,
It's noted in the directions that the machines will run slower and quieter if you reduce the DC supply from 12 volts to a lesser amount. You could experiment to see if the hum diminishes but the switches still operate and remain stalled. My transformer has fixed AC , fixed DC, and variable DC options but I leave the variable set at full so in effect it becomes a fixed source as well. My AC is 16 volts.
When I was setting up I spoke to Steve Worack at Circuitron and he said any of the three ways is fine. Choose what works best with what you have and how you want to wire and control them.

Back