To Cleat or Not to Cleat

dmiller

I am building a mid size multi level self HO railroad and using 1/2 plywood for my roadbed.
The risers are 1 x 3 " and will be screwed into the cross members of my base. The cross members are spaced about 15" apart

Can I wood glue the top of riser to the bottom of the roadbed as a butt joint ? A rap with a hammer or just bending it should break it off if for some reason I have to move it ?

OR would you recommend I make and attach cleats ( time consuming to cut and make) and screw into the plywood and to the riser?
The difficulty is screwing up into the plywood .. Also I will NOT be using any turnout motors under the roadbed but will be using hand throws.

Thank you,
David Miller

I would both glue and screw the butt joint of the plywood. You can never be too strong when building bench work. You could make a plywood plate to joint the butt joint, then screw and glue the plate to the sub-roadbed and if the need arises to move, just cut along the joint seam.

Greg

Also the road bed is 4" wide single track - where double track or wider a cleat would be more practical , but still glue the cleat to the plywood road bed. Yes?

I would both glue and screw the butt joint of the plywood. You can never be too strong when building bench work. You could make a plywood plate to joint the butt joint, then screw and glue the plate to the sub-roadbed and if the need arises to move, just cut along the joint seam.
Greg

Thank you that is a good idea more strength to the plywood from sag or warp

Where you are using this method (cookie cutting) for your track bed and presumably an open frame to secure the risers to, it is always best to position any butt joints in the middle of the grade, away from the top and bottom where the transititions back to level are i.e. the curving of the plywood subroadbed up or down. That way you will avoid the sharp kinks that would otherwise occur at the joints, if done at those points.. Any risers that are under the grade can also be positioned beneath, after the grade and any splicing/cleating is fitted.
While it is usually the practice to glue and screw cleats for permanence, screwing alone with extra screws will be sufficient. Use the same plywood to form the cleats as used for the subbed and you can drill clearance holes through that and screw down into the cleat. Use the type of screws used for particle board to get the best purchase on the ply.
1524360743911.png

Back