Tiny decal technique

Michael J

New model railroader
Is there any technique to putting on decals of individual letters? I got some Microscale decals of letters so I could spell out words that do not come standard. But positioning a string of 1/8-inch letters is tricky. I put them on the surface with a tweezer, and attempt to slide them into place with the tip of a stencil knife or even a pin. But sometimes placing the second letter knocks the first one askew, etc. Short of putting on one letter a day so each one fully dries, what can I do?

It takes a good magnifier, a new X-acto blade and cutting as close to the letters as you can, and patience. I also put a quarter in a jar every time I swear. Ten passenger cars got me to the Bahamas :p;)

Well the way I do it is float them in place (water) then use the corner of a paper towel, Kleenex whatever to siphon the water away. Then let it dry. It's still tedious but it will work. The locos that were painted in CB&CNS colors had names. I have three locos that I had to do that way and a couple of the names required letters that weren't in the decal sets but I made them up with pieces of other letters. It does take some patience but it does work.
The GP-9 is "EDMOND TAVERNER"; The GP18 is GERARD MAC NEIL; and the MLW C630 is STEPHEN VALLIS (a friend who came up with the idea of building the MLW's from Tyco models
Cheers and good luck
Willis

Attachments

• CBCNS2038RS.JPG
    CBCNS2038RS.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Edmond Taverner.jpg
    Edmond Taverner.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 4700_IMG.jpg
    4700_IMG.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 216