Tinplate or Hi-rail? Yes!

Guy64

The C+D "S"ystem is a modular S gauge (1/64 scale) layout currently of 14 sections. [As of July 2008, there are 16 sections.] Some areas are geared for a tinplate setting, with American Flyer track in rubber roadbed, cloth scenery, operating accessories, and buildings of either sheet metal or wood/hardboard designed after Minicraft buildings. Other areas are laid with ballasted Gargraves (now American S Gauge) track, more realistic scenery, and eventually, weathered buildings and equipment. Everything in between these extremes is subject to inclusion, if it's the right size. Toy vehicles and buildings of "antique" or current manufacture are used.

Railroad equipment includes classic Gilbert American Flyer, and especially new equipment currently offered by American Models, S Helper Service, and many other makers of S scale products.

In early 1998 the system looked like this...

Attachments

• 98farmb2a.jpg
    98farmb2a.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!!! I feel so much better now, knowing you're back! The newcomers who missed your earlier posts are in for a real treat. Thanks for posting. :)

Further east on the line (still 1998) we come to Tinplate County Bible Church. The layout was taken down after this 10 week run at a local mall, and the church building and parking lot were moved to the other side of the street on the right. In this place is an original AF "baggage smasher" station, with a few Plasticville buildings along the back edge.

Attachments

• 98Church2a.jpg
    98Church2a.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 501
Chuck,

We recently ran a special train for S scalers. They had a regional convention in Tacoma, WA just after the NMRA national convention. They chartered the MRSR, and seemed to really enjoy the ride. I went to their swap meet and enjoyed seeing the stuff for sale. I didn't buy much of anything, but only since I'd spent way too much the week before at the National Train show and on the NMRA convention.

They had some nice layouts on display too, including both scale and hi-rail.

This was the church area in August of 2000. As seen, the concrete road (now weathered) is to the left of the building and the parking lot is bigger. Also, the Gargraves track has been ballasted.

Attachments

• 1900church.JPG
    1900church.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 444
Guy64 said:
Bob...

Was than an NASG convention? I didn't know you hung out with S scalers so much! :D
Yes, it was a regional convention of the NASG. I think they were hoping to get some of the NMRA folks, but the crowds were not as llarge as they hoped.

I don't normally attend the NASG stuff, or any other model railroad conventions for that matter, I just don't have the time.

A couple of years ago we had Dody Stevens on staff here and she and her husband were really involved in S scale. I think he was NASG president or something. She was active with the forum for quite a while but when we moved to the new site and our own domain she looked at it one time and never came back. I have no idea why...

Chuck,
Nice to see your pictures again. That track looks good with the ballast. Looks like you are using Gargraves track. How do you keep the ends from getting bent out of shape? That was one problem I had on a modular layout I worked on in the late 80's.

Greg

Bob...

Now that you mention her I do remember Dody. Too bad she doesn't post here, it's even better than the old site. You suppose she became a "lurker"?

Greg...

Our modules are constructed to unusual specs. (As far as I know, ours is the only layout using them.) Track goes right up to the ends of each section (no bridge tracks), but the configuration of the ends is such that track pins are protected. It works very well, but we haven't been able to take the system to enough locations to get a feel for long term durability.

I'll hafta take a pic showing how these things fit together.

The former location of the church...

Shops line the back street across from the AF "Baggage Smasher" station. The station building has a tendency to "walk" due to the vibrating mechanism that moves Billy the Bag Smasher, so the whole accessory is set in a recessed "pocket" formed by platform extensions. Still much work remains, such as street light wiring, more weathering, and more people. There're never enough people.

Next time, I might also put the station roof on straight.

Attachments

• 1901Station.JPG
    1901Station.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 497
Those streets with the tar repair lines look fantastic Chuck. I would't have noticed that the station roof was crooked if you hadn't said anything. :D

I like to see a shot of your module edges and how they fit together.

Greg

Look at all those cars everywhere, man that's a lot of traffic, and it's not getting anywhere very fast between the trains and dogs and fire trucks and wrecks....

Hey, a scale model of Seattle traffic on a typical Friday night!

Greg...

I'll try to get a pic of typical module ends asap. Hopefully, it won't take as long as it did to get a pic of that caboose you wanted to see last year. :rolleyes:

Bob...

Yeah, living in SoCal we've kinda gotten accustomed to dense traffic. Yesterday I worked about 40 miles from our residence, and the ride time home was doubled because of a motorcycle accident on the freeway. Then, there was a 2nd fender-bender caused by the traffic jam of the first accident...Argh. Still, the traffic on the C+D looks a bit odd without the associated crowds that should be there. Cars look strangely abandoned.

Thanks Chuck, I look forward to see the end of the module pictures. Also, could you repost that caboose picture. I will save it this time. ;)

Greg

A broad view of the same area...

That's my wife Diana, taking a break from cattle wrangling to coach a gate operator (out of frame, left) at the 2000 TTOS national convention on G deck of the Queen Mary. It's so dark because we were assigned this unlit spot under a stairway. The background shows the normal lighting.

Attachments

• 1882C+D1a.JPG
    1882C+D1a.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 434
Our tour continues "eastbound" ...

What's the quickest scenery to make when a show date looms ahead? Asphalt! Concrete! So that's what was applied to the newest Gargraves section just before August 2000.

This is "Snappy Al's Used Cars", a parking lot that gives our friend Jim a chance to display a small portion of his diecast vehicle collection. A few of ours have been smuggled in as well, including Di's "Lady Bug", a Hot Wheels VW that I repainted.

Attachments

• 1903SnappyAls.JPG
    1903SnappyAls.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 402
Oh, how we'd LOVE to set up the layout somewhere, in a clean place, with good security, where lots of people could come for...oh, say 3 months... ;)

When we first began building the thing, mall shows and such were frequent. Now, the malls prefer to clutter their open spaces with kiosks, which I assume pay rent. The draw of train layouts doesn't count for much, I guess.

But, when the C+D System does a show or whatever, you'll hear about it here.

East of Snappy Al's we come to Jim's Mobilgas, built by the same Jim whose cars fill the car lot. I thought Jim would cover the whole corner for the gas station, so I didn't paint it with "asphalt". Oops.

Jim likes to inject subtle bits of "irony" into his scenes. Note the blue lowrider bouncing on its left side, with the police right behind. Also, the 18 wheel flatbed truck with a single pallet load...

Attachments

• 1898JimsGas.JPG
    1898JimsGas.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 403
Oh, yeah, sorry Greg. Here it is...

From the Christmas layout pix. Guess I gotta reload those, too. :eek:

Attachments

• 6237C+DCab1a.jpg
    6237C+DCab1a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 406