This JMRI Novice Needs Help

Hello... I have been building my Kato n scale layout for about 2 years. Powered by ECoS 50210 command station (picture below for those not familiar), 31 turnouts, maybe 8 locomotives, u-shape in my garage with just under 200' of track. It runs quite reliably. I programmed all my locomotives and turnouts within ECoS, and built my layout schematic using their screen (4 screens actually). However I was hoping to find a way to view and operate the entire layout from one screen, and then someone at my local model railroad store suggested that I explore JMRI.

I did, but (very) quickly became overwhelmed by the seeming complexity of JMRI. I have managed to install Java 11 and JMRI on a Windows 10 laptop and connected with the ECoS via bluetooth. I even was able to export a .xml file of my layout from Anyrail into PanelPro and view it. DecoderPro also imported successfully (I think) all of my locomotives. But...now what? I just want to be able to operate the locomotives and turnouts via JMRI. I will leave any mention of routes, block detection and the like for somewhere down the road.

So I guess my question is... Are there resources, learning tools, suggestions of where I might go next to build on what I have thus far without getting in way over my head? I've looked at a lot of YouTube videos that purport to be tutorials, intros, basics etc for JMRI but there seem to be gaps in most of them and presumptions that the modeler is already familiar with the programs.

Anyway, I welcome any and all suggestions for a kick start in hopefully a positive direction. Thanks for listening.

Ron

ECoS50210.jpg

Hi Ron!

You're talking "Starship Enterprise" technology to me.
Congratulations on your success in this endeavor.
My best advice is to watch the videos, accept the "Gaps" of information and apply good old fashioned "FA and FO".
It'll take time but you'll get there. :)

Hello... I have been building my Kato n scale layout for about 2 years. Powered by ECoS 50210 command station (picture below for those not familiar), 31 turnouts, maybe 8 locomotives, u-shape in my garage with just under 200' of track. It runs quite reliably. I programmed all my locomotives and turnouts within ECoS, and built my layout schematic using their screen (4 screens actually). However I was hoping to find a way to view and operate the entire layout from one screen, and then someone at my local model railroad store suggested that I explore JMRI.

I did, but (very) quickly became overwhelmed by the seeming complexity of JMRI. I have managed to install Java 11 and JMRI on a Windows 10 laptop and connected with the ECoS via bluetooth. I even was able to export a .xml file of my layout from Anyrail into PanelPro and view it. DecoderPro also imported successfully (I think) all of my locomotives. But...now what? I just want to be able to operate the locomotives and turnouts via JMRI. I will leave any mention of routes, block detection and the like for somewhere down the road.

So I guess my question is... Are there resources, learning tools, suggestions of where I might go next to build on what I have thus far without getting in way over my head? I've looked at a lot of YouTube videos that purport to be tutorials, intros, basics etc for JMRI but there seem to be gaps in most of them and presumptions that the modeler is already familiar with the programs.

Anyway, I welcome any and all suggestions for a kick start in hopefully a positive direction. Thanks for listening.

Ron

View attachment 182656
Google is your friend! A quick search for “JMRI Discussion Groups“ gave plenty of answers from JMRI help to a groups IO group. One thing: don’t attempt to use decoder pro with your ESU Lok Sound decoders. It doesn’t speak German. There have been issues.

Thanks. No Lok Sound decoders. When prompted by JMRI after I first hooked up to the ECoS, I used NMRA standard as the installed decoder. I figure I can always go back later and change them once I check my records. Did I do right?

I did find the instructions for adding turnouts in the JMRI documentation. I'm going to find a good single malt this afternoon and do some reading. When I sober up I will try to add some to JMRI and see if they work.

FA & FO? Is that political speak? :rolleyes: And I'll check out the io group as well.

Back