Thinking of getting back into the Hobby

Bioman67

Back in the 80's I had a HO scale setup. Typical 4 by 8 but with pretty extensive scenery, building etc., all DC controlled. Still have some of the locos and rolling stock, but currently lack the space for HO. Was thinking of N scale as it seems I might better be able to fit it into dual usage spaces. So much has changed especially regards the controllers. Cost is not a factor and would prefer to get a good start and not have regrets at purchasing things that may not hold up well or perform poorly. Going to a few shops next week around Dallas, but shop owners giving best advise in any hobby can be hit or miss. Open to anything you might share. Your time and assistance is appreciated.

Back in the 80's I had a HO scale setup. Typical 4 by 8 but with pretty extensive scenery, building etc., all DC controlled. Still have some of the locos and rolling stock, but currently lack the space for HO. Was thinking of N scale as it seems I might better be able to fit it into dual usage spaces. So much has changed especially regards the controllers. Cost is not a factor and would prefer to get a good start and not have regrets at purchasing things that may not hold up well or perform poorly. Going to a few shops next week around Dallas, but shop owners giving best advise in any hobby can be hit or miss. Open to anything you might share. Your time and assistance is appreciated.
Welcome to the group!

N scale would be a great fit for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of space. It has come a long way since the early days. Many of the locomotives and rolling stock preform just as well now as the Ho scale models. Kato is a brand that is one of the best for locomotives.

Are you going to stay with DC, or are you looking at DCC?

If you're looking to stay with DC, probably any decent power pack by Atlas, Kato, or MRC would work just fine. You could probably find more expensive brands that offer features like walk around throttles with memory, adjustable momentum, braking, etc. Which would also be okay.

But if you would prefer to go with DCC, you might check into the NCE PowerCab system. It's a very affordable beginner system that's very intuitive (easy to set up and learn with). In my opinion though, the only thing that makes it a "beginner" system is the small power supply that comes with it, that will power maybe around 2 to 4 N-scale N-scale locos or so at the most. Aside from that, the PowerCab hand controller is a full-blown DCC system that has all the programming features you would need for DCC operation.

Welcome to the group!

N scale would be a great fit for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of space. It has come a long way since the early days. Many of the locomotives and rolling stock preform just as well now as the Ho scale models. Kato is a brand that is one of the best for locomotives.

Are you going to stay with DC, or are you looking at DCC?
DCC seems to me to be a better alternative as it seems less restrictive.

Welcome Bioman67. I am an "N" scaler with an 11 foot by 3.5 foot layout. I use Kato track and Digitrax Zephyr DCC. It's a Digitrax started system. With that said, it will run 8 locomotives at a time. My advice, take you time in designing your layout. Know whether you want to train watch or switching operations or a little of both. Folks think just because N is smaller you can build a RR empire on a 2' by 3' board.

Welcome Bioman67. I am an "N" scaler with an 11 foot by 3.5 foot layout. I use Kato track and Digitrax Zephyr DCC. It's a Digitrax started system. With that said, it will run 8 locomotives at a time. My advice, take you time in designing your layout. Know whether you want to train watch or switching operations or a little of both. Folks think just because N is smaller you can build a RR empire on a 2' by 3' board.
Yep, going to put a lot of thought into it. I am still pondering Steam or Diesel and not even sure where I can set this up :)

Thats how i started. a 30X 39 inch space that was a sidebox on my rv. It has expanded to a 39X138 inch layoutfrom running one engine to 5-6 engines. From dc to dcc. Once you start its like M&M's, never eat just one! Welcome to the hobby and our site!!

Since you are the Chairman of the Board, CEO and President of your railroad, you can run steam, diesel and or electric anytime you want. I personally have a steamer day every once in a while. All the locos during that operating session are steam locos. Also, while my primary or core railroad is Boston & Maine, I have Penn, Delaware & Hudson, Pan Am and Union Pacific locos. My explanation, should someone ask, is my railroad is considering purchasing one of those type of locos and we are trying it out.

If you are looking for a nice starter layout, this is in my opinion one of the best.
1701889223422.png

1701889242138.png

Back