They did it to me again!

josephbw

I was the President of our local model RR club for over 20 years, then retired for health reasons. Yesterday I was elected President once again even though I didn't vote for myself. :D Oh well, it's not like I don't know how to do the job.

I was the President of our local model RR club for over 20 years, then retired for health reasons. Yesterday I was elected President once again even though I didn't vote for myself. :D Oh well, it's not like I don't know how to do the job.

Abraham Lincoln, after being elected President of the United States is alleged to have said that he felt like the man who was being tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail! "Gentlemen, if it weren't for the honor of the thing, I think I'd just as soon decline!"

Having been elected three consecutive annual terms as commander of a veterans group because no one else is able or willing to take over, and similarly as president of a space advocacy group, I know the feeling! If an "assault" is inevitable...

I look at it this way. I've served my time and now it's for someone else. I served for over 15 years as the contest chair for the SouthEastern Region of the NMRA, I also served 2 terms as secretary of the same organization, as well as numerous stands as Division Super.

While I was honored to be awarded with a "Member of the Year" type award for service to the region, I'm not one for awards. In 2005 I stepped down actively from all positions I have held, and although I have been nominated to serve again, I have refused to serve.

I believe that there needs to be a new infusion of blood regularly to keep things fresh, or the organization can wither and maybe die. Similar to what Thomas Jefferson said, regarding having a revolution every 4 years or so.

Now if it were a paid position with a corner office with a view, you probably wouldn't be re-elected so easily.

Back