The slow decline of our hobby? What do you think?

Well now, this thread is really turned into more than I expected, but I should have realized as much. Get this much experience and knowledge into one topic and you have a true learning experience, thank you Everybody!

I need sufficient time to digest all I have and continue to learn, but something I can add is a bit of my experience in sales.

My first introduction to managing inventory as it relates to sales was with General Tire. We sold all kinds of products at one time. Appliances to TVs, many things in-between and even tires. When I asked Jim Juliano the company's comptroller why we were discontinuing so many things he said "it's all about turn over". General Tire adopted a policy that if we did not turn over a product 7 times a year we would not stock it. The number 7 was calculated to give us the biggest return on investment without tying up capital.

I took that idea a step further when I was building and selling my own brand of 100% IBM Compatible PCs; Bruette Computers. I did not stock anything, everything was build to order. I made a trip to Chantilly, VA once a week to pick up the parts at Comstor who at the time the were selling wholesale computer parts. That market dried up for small manufacturers with the ever lowering price of PCs and the wholesalers went with it. That goes to show the market may have changed, but computers are still going strong.

Boris you may remember the General Tire store I ran. It was located a short distance south of the Bayview Hump on North Point Blvd. across the street from K-Mart. We did a fair amount of national account work for the railroads; Amtrak, Conrail and CSX.

There is also one other issue I'm seeing that was not mentioned before. I will not be getting my son a train for Christmas like we all got. Well, I'll be getting him a train but it's not going to be the Lionel or HO scale train. It will be a Lego train. It's all he ask for now. Today there are a lot more options for the kids to play with and not what we think of as the hobby. I think of these as more toys but really they are just a new branch of our hobby. With these trains like Power Trains and Legos the market is still growing. The old wooden train is a real winner in our house too. I'm sure he will grow from the toy Power trains and wooden ones to the HO scale I'm building with him but that's because Dad is into the hobby. If it wasn't for me he would never have this option. So, Lionel may not get the money or a hobby shop but he is still playing with the hobby. Not until he is older will the hobby shops see the money from this.

So many dads today are more interested in their son playing sports or the dream of them being a pro keeps the kids from having a childhood full of playing like a kid. I do have my son out with a bat and tee ball and a ball to kick around but I also have him play with wooden trains too. He also loves the TKD class. He's going be a real kick a$$ on day. LOL

Just my thoughts
Dave

I'll be getting him a train but it's not going to be the Lionel or HO scale train. It will be a Lego train.
Lego makes some nice trains. Unfortunately the two I got are not motorized - gumble. Then the track selections are very limited. Lego's were one of the biggest draws at the Youth in Model Railroading shows we used to attend.

Our annual show has had a large Lego display for quite some years. Always popular and busy. Was another brand there this year as well. It was also well viewed and busy. The club has 3 U-Drive Thomas layouts for the kids. Always popular. If it sparks an interest, who knows where it will lead. My model railroading re-awakening was ignited by seeing MR magazines in a local newsagent when taking my wife to see her doctor. Hadn't seen one in 40+ years.

My model railroading re-awakening was ignited by seeing MR magazines in a local newsagent when taking my wife to see her doctor. Hadn't seen one in 40+ years.
Many people are dumping their magazine collections at the museum or the club. I take boxes of them home and when I go to anyplace that has a waiting room with magazines (grease monkey, dentist, doctor, great clips, etc.) I drop one or two into the collection. I have yet to find one still there when I return, so I don't know if the businesses are purging them or folks are taking them home, but I hope someone has seen them.

Such a great idea on how to unload the old magazines you no longer need. I'll need to start doing that as I have a large pile I no longer use and think it would be great if I could share with others.

Dave

Donating the old Model Railroad magazines is a great idea, someone may pick one up and become interested. I have seen several examples of the Lego trains, they are quite well done. My kids loved Legos, hope to get the Grandchildren involved, once they're old enough.

Reading thru, just my 2 cents worth ---

When I started in the early 70's into model railroading there was not a whole lot of places to buy stuff. Mostly if you bought "ready to run" -- it was toy, not model. Walthers kit cars were next. I built a lot of my original freight cars from those and a few passenger cars. Remember the Walthers Executive Car? I built it in ho for the pike, and I also built it for the mantel, in O scale. Grand kits. Long gone. Then there is the "time, treasure and talent" aspect of this hobby.

Not many people today wish to spend the time it takes to really make a pike look like more than a glorified "Plywood Central". Scenery? A few grass sheets and maybe some out of the box trees. Hills? Work with plaster cloth? .... Treasure. To get a really good looking pike it takes cash. A LOT OF CASH... I look at some of the home "club type" pikes and know what they spent, at least i can guess pretty good after all these years of being in the hobby. This is more than an investment in a hobby it turns out to be a life style. I suppose there are tons of things i could spend my cash on other than "toy trains" -- but then again where is the enjoyment of making something with your own two hands... It takes a lot of cash to really do up a pike. I have spent a good several thousand over the years and continue to on new cars, stuff i really do not need, but want to keep the pike looking "fresh".

Talent. this one is set off by itself. It takes real talent to take a pike from a layout book and convert it into a working model. More than a diorama, but a real working world in some kind of miniature. Not that you will ever reproduce what is in nature, or prototype, but come close on your own. Then there is the enjoyment of the completed project, and everything which goes into making this thing "run" -- I have seen lots of pikes which are basically a super 'siding queen" and not much more. Even working a kit like Woodland Scenics takes a lot of talent to convert that huge box of Styrofoam and glue / plaster cloth and basic colorant into something which looks like it does on the box - or close to your own interpretation of the project.

Kids today have way too many distractions in the form of that little box which they carry around and seen glued to. i have tried to interest my grand children in rail - both model and prototype -- as in "Come along with me on a Saturday Afternoon, and see trains!" -- Rail radio in car and ATCS -- I can find trains to watch. They are not interested. Too many after school activities with band, sports, clubs and other distractions which are presented to them. I would love them to take up any part of this hobby ... DREAM ON .... Their lives are just too full of everything at this point to take in more. Even my 43 year old daughter who used to tramp around with me is no longer interested in the whole shebang.

When this becomes an "estate' -- they can try to get the cash out that I invested in it over the last 40+ years -- but they won't have the memories of what it took to make this little world come alive. I do, and constantly am adding to my memories.

The Aerojet

Many people are dumping their magazine collections at the museum or the club. I take boxes of them home and when I go to anyplace that has a waiting room with magazines (grease monkey, dentist, doctor, great clips, etc.) I drop one or two into the collection. I have yet to find one still there when I return, so I don't know if the businesses are purging them or folks are taking them home, but I hope someone has seen them.

I do that too, along with car mags and they all disappear quite soon. Blokes are the culprits all right. Up the shirt front. Women's mags just pile up.

Back