The mighty 150!

diburning

AlcoHaulic
Here is my model of the Providence and Worcester GE 25-ton switcher #150.

img1234c.jpg

img1233py.jpg

img1231g.jpg

img1232z.jpg

img1230h.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plLegLXbO4c

I sped up the locomotive a bit near the beginning since I didn't want it to get caught up on switch frogs due to the short wheelbase. It runs like a coffee grinder at high speeds, but that's what you would expect from an old Bachmann motor. It's very intolerant of dirty track though (due to it's light weight) so I can't operate it in yards without scrubbing down the track first (even though theres no visible gunk)

The prototype is still on the roster and is still used occasionally.

This model was a Grandt Line kit that was assembled and painted by Jerome (wheeler1963). The locomotive was custom painted and detailed. The front and rear headlights are operational and are surface mount LEDs. The original drive was replaced with a Bachmann Spectrum GE 44-tonner powered truck. I've added weight to it (I cut down some A-Line weights and glued them in front of and behind the truck).

With the added weight, the little switcher can pull up to 3 NMRA weighted cars on level track without slipping. Because of the short wheelbase, the switcher tends to hang up on unpowered frogs, but it makes it through fine on powered ones.

The DCC decoder on board is a Digitrax DZ125, installed by Mark G. (MGWSY)

The couplers are Kadee #43s, short centerset shank couplers. The truck made mounting the Kadee #711 couplers impossible so I glued in the #43s. The couplers do not swing so I decided to go with the standard head rather than the scale head. The front coupler sticks out a bit, but the #43 is the shortest all-metal coupler that Kadee makes.

Very nice! I really need to order the Bachmann truck/motor for mine, my dad would love to have an operating QHS 150, not a dead unit...

Very nice! I really need to order the Bachmann truck/motor for mine, my dad would love to have an operating QHS 150, not a dead unit...

Rico has done this conversion before and somehow he was able to get the #711 couplers on there. When Jerome built mine, he had to sand the truck down a lot to get it to fit without breaking the shell. Right now the truck is friction fit in there and it won't come out. The loco is VERY light weight. Before I added weight, it could barely pull itself. After I added weight, it could pull three cars, but I wouldn't push it since the extra weight may put strain on the motor (the motor sounded like it was working hard).

Also, the Bachmann truck has the right wheel size, but the wrong wheelbase so if you can afford it and/or willing to spend the extra money, spring for a Bull Ant from Hollywood Foundry, or a Stantion Drive from NWSL. (someone has repowered one with a Bull Ant before and looking at the dimensions of the Stantion Drive, it should fit fine)

Also, the Bachmann truck has the right wheel size, but the wrong wheelbase so if you can afford it and/or willing to spend the extra money, spring for a Bull Ant from Hollywood Foundry, or a Stantion Drive from NWSL. (someone has repowered one with a Bull Ant before and looking at the dimensions of the Stantion Drive, it should fit fine)

Good point, I'll email the guys from NWSL and see what they can come up with.

Back