The greenbrier logging and coal co

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

i use unitrack except for the logging camp and sawmill. couldn't seem to make it fit right.

i am not sure how far back you can go. i jumped around with different ideas before i came back to this thread, and i'm not to sure about the coal mine part.. can't make up my mind...

Been working on my workshop and getting sorted out as to what i can save of the buildings. I think the engine house and water tower are toast. I have one of the buildings from the logging camp that i may be able to save. The houses around the sawmill will be completely rebuilt they are all in bad shape. I did find my workbench and its set up so i can work on the buildings and other things. Haven't done anything else yet to the layout as i want new engine house and water tower to fit first so i am in a holding pattern on that for now. Later, Smokey

OleSmokey

I have been busy Working on a water tower, A new engine house, a new water tank for the logging camp. Then i also got the layout partially done on the mountain side. I am still adding more foam to it, but have still to finish the rest yet. I had enough foam to get the new logging camp track done but not finished. I also changed the logging camp itself to make it work better. A lot done and one other thing is i changed the coal company. For now its gone. I also bought a 0-6-0 tank engine made by model power. Will need to dcc chip it but I like the looks of it! All and all i was pretty busy this last weekend! Have a few shots but nothing on the change to the logging camp yet. Anyway thats all for now, Smoke

Attachments

Finished the engine and is all set to play on the layout. Don't have any wiring right now so i will wait till then. Been looking at that mountain area. I think i have an idea but nothing in stone. I shortened the trestle to around 10 inches. Still nice idea. I made the mountain in the back come out more and will be doing more cliffs in the front area. Now...About a creek... Shots so far.

Attachments

I am changing a few things on the layout again... Most of the company towns all have the same color buildings. So i have pulled all the buildings off the layout and am painting all of them with a light grey. I had two different colors of white. Didn't like them so i went with the colors of the hotel and go with that. I am waiting till i get the new doors and windows and also some window treatments,( curtains ect). Slowly i am getting some kind of resemblance of a logging town. Also i am going to grade the ground around the houses to flatten off the mountain behind them. Houses will be stepped as to add some realism. Will see how that works out. Have a couple of shots of the houses, Smoke

Attachments

Iron Horseman

Ok, put your thinking caps on and see if you can identify this Locomotive. I would love to be able to model it in N scale. Has to be one of a kind.
I don't think that is two pictures of the locomotive. I think that is a picture of a locomotive and a mirror image of the same. Images are too small to see any detail. Cannot even tell if the boiler is offset, and if so how far. The turnbuckled frame looks very Shayish. The boiler is not tapered very much if at all. Two very Shayish domes in their overall shape but they don't seem to have the normal Shay "lip" at the bottom where they met the boiler. The "pilot" looks Shayish. No air compressor! Wooden Cab. Reverse Headlight! Almost straight stack. The bell is behind the steam dome, where it looks like most Shays have the bell between domes.

I'm still going to guess it is a 36 ton "Ballad" class "B" Shay.

OleSmokey

Yep. That seems to be the opinions of this site and others who viewed these photos. I agree that both pics are a mirror of each other. I think it is a shay. When i first saw the first picture, i couldn't recognize the engine. The tender looked different from most of the shays i have seen. Thanks all for helping to figure out what it was. Smoke

OleSmokey

Engine aside, I have been working on the railroad,hehe! On the town side i have been building up the ground so i have hill going up to the mountain behind. I think it looks good and when plastered should be great. The barn can be around the same height as the houses. They are staged on a incline. The bar and red light house can stay on the lower side of the hill.
I also have been working on the waterfalls and the trestle and bridge there. The bridge is gone. was damaged and didn't really like it anyway. The trestle behind it was damaged but i can fix it. I cut the waterfall out of the plan and moved it about 5 inches forward so i can really see it. The one trestle will be repaired and another one built to show above the falls. I think it will be better. I have started on the logging camp and track for it. Not done so i will post shots later for that. Have shots below, Later, Smoke

Attachments

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com