The D&J Railroad -- From Scratch

Ken - The trees look good. Who makes them? Although you are modeling the southwest, a few pine forests will add a lot of interest to the layout. Waiting for your video.

Hi Chet, they look like Grand Central Gems. They are called "pine trees" but they look like spruce to me. I have some and I think they are the best looking spruce-like conifer available.

pine_trees_tm.jpg

Maybe Ken can chime in and confirm

That one worked. I picked up these trees from the same company. They aren't perfect, but so much better than a lot that are offered.

thumbnail_20190329_085812.jpg

Found these on Amazon. Thanks

Ohhh, there is steam. Keep reading.
Had to take a break yesterday and work on my final helix bridge. Hopefully I'll get back to this subject later today.

BTW you have no relationship to the fellow 'DJs trains' who posts some excellent drone videos on this site,...is that correct?

Had to take a break yesterday and work on my final helix bridge. Hopefully I'll get back to this subject later today.

BTW you have no relationship to the fellow 'DJs trains' who posts some excellent drone videos on this site,...is that correct?
No, that's not me. I've been using the D&J Railroad title since 1987 or so.

Doing some refining of the loconet and power supply for the railroad.
I eliminated about 9 PS12s by installing 3 centrally located adjustable power supplies for the signal boards and the PM42s.
I also reran the loconet cables and used the LNRPs to isolate the command stations from the general loconet system.
I eliminated the Digitrax Wi-Fi board as it seemed to be causing a major data flow problem during operations.
Control Boards Loconet.jpg

GOD help me!
I haven't seen such as that since they handed me the carburetor manual of the four chambers and functions of the Wright 3350 including the prop feathering mechanism!

It looks simpler than it really is.
I'm working on another schematic of the signal and block detection system. That should make ya go blind.

Dave: Nice drawing of the electrical schematics. Did you use Excel? Looks complicated to me.

Chet and Dave: As a former horticulturist, those are types of spruce due to their structure. Some of the best spruce came from a supplier in Germany and are no longer importing their products. Pines are more wide open and are eay to model uisng a variety of methods from using steel wool to natural materials.

More complex pine tree construction....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6927D6927BD1BADB3E626927D6927BD1BAD&FORM=VIRE

Greg

###########################

Ken, if you're looking for trees, check the new Walthers' Flyer for a Pine (Spruce to be correct) assortment of trees 2 3/8 to 4 11/32 inches in height. Package of 100 trees. On sale Reg. $79.99 for $64.98.

Walthers Part Number 189-6499

Those Central Central Gems are nice trees. I was lucky to find a bag of 20 for $20.00 on sale at a LHS.

Greg

Last edited:
Have you thought about filling in with ground cover, and aspen clusters? Maybe add in some deer and mountain sheep or goats? A momma bear and cubs.

Don't forget branches can represent trees can be collect from your backyard at this time of year. Twigs can be painted to look like Aspen trees when painted a gray or off white.

Evergreens rarely grow alone in the wild.

I'm planning a walk through Micheal's store's dried plant and flower area for some landscaping materials.

Greg

Back