The beginning of my trees ... N-Scale

pulaskius

I was playing around with making my own trees and here is the beginning stage of 2 of them. These will be large oak trees for N-Scale when they are finished.

I haven't yet decided what to coat them with to make the "bark" before painting but will make a trip to Lowes tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

I wanted a root system on my trees that I could mold into the landscape and leave partially exposed.

These might be a little large for N-Scale but I'll find out when my cars start arriving in a few days.

So .. do they sort of look like trees ? :)

that's a good start ! pulaskius!
the ruler is in inches?
if so I think you've made some quite big old oak trees so not to big I think!!
But the trees has to "fit"I mean in relation to the other scenery on your ( future?) layout...
TRy sawDUST to make immitate the bark... add it on the, primered frames with some deluted whiteglue. dont add to much water just a little...add directly the dust with a sieve after you painted the frame with the mix of white glue and a LITTLE water. if the trunk is still to thin just repeat the whole thing once more after a 1/2 hour.
if you want to know/see more about making trees just watch: how to make trees and shrubs"http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5015 in this forum. ( post: # 84)
To answer your question:
do they sort of look like trees
yes they do!!

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for the advice ! I am building a layout from scratch and have only ordered a Loco and some cars so far. The tape measure is in inches.

If I can make some realistic looking trees then I can tailor them to my set up as I go along. This stuff is fun :)

Results after the first coat of "bark". I used powdered grout that I found at Lowes. I mixed the powder with just enough water to make a sticky paste and then applied it with a small paint brush.

The second coat will cover what I missed the first time and will increase the texture as it builds up on the wires vs filling in the gaps. I might add some sand to the grout to get more texture or just shoot it with some textured paint.

These trees are probably throw aways ... just trying to develop the skills needed to make a good one :)

We received the first of our N-Scale cars yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and detail ! I agonized over the choice between HO and N and think I made the right decision.

Here are 2 of the cars in front of a tree ... the size relationship seems to be ok :)

Back