The BC and F Railway

Thanks for putting up some photos of your build while it is still young. I often use my posts to go back and look and get a different perspective and perhaps some new fresh ideas.

Over there in the wilderness I've modified it for a river/stream/gulch to come through the mountains and built up an area between the two levels. For a height reference the rear track at the river crossing is about 1.5"
20150111_094345_LLS.jpg20150111_114306.jpg

I see we use some of the same methods, I am interested to see how it turns out. Thanks for posting----lasm

lasm- working with that plaster cloth sure is tedious. I've used it before but geez it felt like it took forever. Previously I've mostly used it to blend/connect different pieces and layers of carved foam.
Thanks for posting.

So I somewhat hurriedly added some more terrain to this area, built up a flat spot for the lumber company, and laid more plaster cloth. After returning from some sledding early afternoon, I painted the still damp plaster areas, quickly grew grass, a few shrubs, and the trees magically grew right after. I've been getting tired of all the prep work lately without any 'finished' areas so at least this spot is completed. I'm sure some more details will be added. A couple before and after photos. Also cut out an area on the left that will now be a creek bed/lake shore/ something .
20150117_082650.jpg20150117_091128.jpg20150117_092012.jpg
20150117_151938_LLS.jpg

I think you are on the right track with the mortar, thought about tinting down the white so it is a little off and rubbing some of the areas with a cotton cloth?

Sweet Chuck,

I can tell you that it is a darn site better than what I have done. Maybe, if I may make one suggestion, perhaps tone the mortar color down a bit, to more of a grey as lasm suggested. The white really stands out and, while it looks good, tends to distract from the rest of the building.

As I said, your effort looks much better than what I have managed to achieve so I really can't talk or give advice.

Yes! I knew it just didn't look quite 'right'...too bright..never thought of a lighter grey or similar. Will definitely try it.

Here's a bit of progress from the last few days. More plaster cloth and rocks on the other side of the stream. and the form of the 'mountain' taking shape. I'm gonna probably let the mountain sit for a while before doing any more work while I decide if it's too high or if I should lower the overall height by an inch or two.
20150125_201053.jpg20150125_201121.jpg20150125_145603.jpg20150125_201149.jpg

A retaining wall I've been building. There's enough space between the two walls that I will put some shrubs, weeds, overgrowth that will show the spacing nicely. MOre pics soon (I hope)
20150208_115412.jpg20150215_084740.jpg20150215_093208.jpg

From the pics the retaining wall looks like you are using plain old paper? It looks very much like retaining walls I have seen before, and it came out really well. Are the columns balsa wood or something? Again, I am amazed at how well it looks on the wall.

From the pics the retaining wall looks like you are using plain old paper? It looks very much like retaining walls I have seen before, and it came out really well. Are the columns balsa wood or something? Again, I am amazed at how well it looks on the wall.

I used an image of a wall area and printed it multiple times on sheets of paper. I used various media to give the sections and bricks some detail and shading. I cut and pasted these areas on to standard cardboard previously measured for height and width I needed.The vertical columns and column caps are cut from a cardboard type material that I had already too. I think it will look pretty good once the space between the two walls are filled. The spacing is probably about 3/8 ". Thanks for thee feedback!

I've changed my thoughts on this particular area. First I wanted this mining type building here, nestled among a very rocky terrain. Then I thought about having a house or two spaced nicely with an abundance of tall trees. Currently, I'm going with the mine because the structure is kind of cool, and there really isn't a good area for it to 'fit in' elsewhere.
So, mother nature commenced the landforming....
20150125_201121.jpg20150329_111502.jpg20150329_111527.jpg

Back