Ten Wheeler Time!

Here we are all stripped down. everything except what's in the plastic box is soaking in the lacquer thinner. Blast & ultrasonic cleaning tomorrow.
IMG_2293.JPG

Remotor complete and the Decoder is in. She's buttoned back up and ready to test. No elephant ears yet. I'll put those on when it's painted. Looking forward to testing it. Just in time for the oven timer to let me know the baking time is up! Total time for this was about 90 minutes, which includes fabricating the motor bracket. Handsome devil, innit?
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG

Alan, what kind of decoders are you using?
What you see in the FEF-2 is the little Soundtraxx mobile two function decoder. I also use the little Digitraxx DZ126T, or the DN equivalent. I've probably said this before but I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for sound. It's an extra hundred bucks and I've found I really don't miss it. I've also gotten to the point that I don't like drilling or cutting on these models unnecessarily. Especially the rarer ones. A lot of what I have is common, but there are some rarer pieces. One of a hundred and so forth. I also don't care to try and cut into Vanderbuilt tenders and the SP just loved those! The little N and Z decoders make a nice neat installation with no extra wires, and their peak current capacity is more than enough for today's can motors.

I have sound in several of my GS-4's and a GS-2, and I bought a Sunset Mogul with factory installed sound. The Genesis Mt-4's have it as well, but that's more than enough. Much of the diesel fleet has it, but I find I don't need it in everything. "Nice, but not necessary" :)

Last edited:
Shoot me a PM with a couple of pics and details, and what you'd like to get for 'em.
Will do. before I do that however, all are unpainted, and all have Pittman motors except I'm not sure on the 2-8-0. I haven't been into it. Still interested?

Welcome to Scale Modeler's Hell! Well, maybe just purgatory! :) While masking for the boiler & smokebox the power reverse fell off. You'd think a cold joint would fail during disassembly, blasting, ultrasonic cleaning, painting and baking. Nope! It held out until masking for the second color. Lucky for me I have resistance soldering gear. In the old days the paint would have been ruined. This I can touch up with a brush and you'll never see it.
IMG_2309.JPG

Will do. before I do that however, all are unpainted, and all have Pittman motors except I'm not sure on the 2-8-0. I haven't been into it. Still interested?

I'd definitely prefer painted, but if the price is right I would be willing to take a stab at it myself.

Back