tempory track solutions on a budget.

zackesch

Hey all, i am new to the forum here, but not new to model railroading.

A little about myself. I am a college student that is majoring in mechanical design, in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Being a college student, my budget and time is limited. I also do a lot in electric rc airplanes, but don't fly very often due to the lack of time.

To my question:D.
I do not have room for a layout and money is tight "when isn't it?:rolleyes:." I currently own n scale. I was looking at Bachmann and Kato track, but it is very pricey. What i was wondering is using atlas snap track a good idea when it comes to temporary set-ups, on a clean work bench?

Also, do many people build small switching operations on shelves that are about 4' long by 10"?

Thanks in advance!

-zack

When you say Atlas "snap track" are you referring to the new atlas track with the built in roadbed? If so, it would most likely be a good choice. For temporary set ups the track with the built-in roadbed (Bachmann, Kato,Atlas) is much better than the track without. The extra locking of the roadbed holds it together MUCH better than plain sectional track. Overall, Bachmann would be my last choice for track with built-in roadbed......if you plan to move into a permanent layout down the road somewhere, I'd avoid it because it doesn't play nice with other brands of track and you'll end up replacing it. You'd be better off spending a little more for Kato.
I can't say "lots" of people do switching shelf layouts, but it's certainly not uncommon. I've seen some really nice layouts in very small spaces.

shelf layouts are very popular. I have a looped style shelf layout at home and it is very easy to reach all of the turnouts. Some may only build a switching layout as thats all they can fit in a room. An Idea you may like to consider is to build a sectional layout that you can someday bring to a club meet and attach yours to another persons. these are built to "code" so that the connect properly. It an popular idea lots of people with space limitations will use also.

Hey all, i am new to the forum here, but not new to model railroading.

A little about myself. I am a college student that is majoring in mechanical design, in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Being a college student, my budget and time is limited. I also do a lot in electric rc airplanes, but don't fly very often due to the lack of time.

To my question:D.
I do not have room for a layout and money is tight "when isn't it?:rolleyes:." I currently own n scale. I was looking at Bachmann and Kato track, but it is very pricey. What i was wondering is using atlas snap track a good idea when it comes to temporary set-ups, on a clean work bench?

Also, do many people build small switching operations on shelves that are about 4' long by 10"?

Thanks in advance!

-zack

Zack,

I sponsored a 2 x 8 HO layout design contest. Most of these will fit a 4 x 10" N-scale layout.

When I was in college, I used some Atlas track and had a large shelf that I made out of cinderblocks and some wood. So yeah, it doesn't have to be pretty, but it's a conversation starter.

Lets just say I owe that little layout some things....chicks dig trains...

Back