Tank Car Terminals (Propane & Fuel) PHOTO HEAVY!!!

Scott, what can I tell you? We use trucks now, and the fact that DESC is getting ride of all it's DODX tank cars in a couple of years. It never gets used. We'd have to flush it all big time now to use it.

Jerome, looks like whoever handled that one train managed to take a pretty good hunk out of the concrete bumper at the end of the track. :)

Jim, Your right. When they made it, they made the bumper too high!! So the cars hit the concrete!!! OPPS!!! LOL

Well I have to take it all back. We got 3 DODX 20K gallon tank cars in last Thursday. We finally got around to offloading them this morning. Here's a few pictures of our little operation.

100_3578.jpg

100_3579.jpg

100_3580.jpg

100_3582.jpg

100_3584.jpg

100_3585.jpg

I would be the one under the car with the hardhat on. I always get the dirty jobs!!! LOL

beautiful pics Jeorme!! Man your making me want to get back into the refinery modeling lol. That first few pics of the first set you posted in this thread, the one with the small loading/unloading facility, and these last pics would make an excellent small scene!! Im going to have to bookmark this thread :D. Would you mind if i saved some of these pics for my own personal use for future modeling projects?

Josh, that's what they are here for. To give people ideas and inspiration. A scene like that facility wouldn't take up much room either. 2 or 3 tank cars long.

these are super pics!

some facilities are basically "team" tracks for tankcars. There is a small spot in Houston that (iirc) has 4 tracks each holding about 4-5 cars each. There is nothing but tracks and some space between track 1-2 and 3-4 for tanker trucks to park while loading. The entire site is surrounded by rather tall chain link, barbed wire and the gates simply cross all the tracks. No office, no tanks, nothing but tracks and paved fence to fence to fence in asphalt.

Very nice pics, Jerome. Any idea if that #14477 car is original DODX or a purchase? It kind of looks like the DODX reporting mark was patched in. Also kinda looks like that pine tree could use a little pruning. :)

Jim, 2 of the 3 cars looked like patch jobs. that pine tree had a big branch ripped off when the 3 cars were backed in. the Army isn't too worried about trimming trees for us!! LOL

Jerome, that's kind of interesting that the DoD would be buying propane tankers for their fleet from the used market. At one time, I remember reading that the DoD was getting out of the freight car business except for heavy duty flats and would lease everything else. Looks like something changed along the way.

Great Job, Jerome!

Those are really nice photos, and so very helpful. The detail of the containment basin around the fill area is a treasure. Now I've got something to model when I assemble those old Walther's Propane Facility Tanks, which do not come with the containment.

Thanks!

David

Great work getting those photos Jerome. Lots of great detail there to model the area/industry.

Larry~ Great story about the asphalt. That had to be an interesting one to watch develop.

OK, I went back to the rail headers today and took measurements of everything. I hope to get it all drawn up in the next few days and i'll make it available here for anyone that wants it.

Oh yeah, I definitely want these measurements sir, as I picked up 14 of the Shell storage tanks at the last show for $8, all n-scale, but can be double stacked to make 7 ho scale tanks.
I have a little of the piping and other necessary equipment to work on it, and modeling the pit would look real cool.
Thanks, Eric :cool:

Back