Talcum Powder for weathering

Olie

I have read a couple of article, albeit older one, that talk about using talcum powder for weathering. I mixed up a 50/50 mix of baby powder with the black chalk line powder I had to make a grey. Seems like it would do the trick. I'm wondering how well it will stick and if it has issues if a clear is sprayed over it. Anyone else use something like this?

I have not heard of this, but weathering is not something I've researched all that much. If you remember articles on the subject than it must work somewhat. Take a few different scraps of material, and experiment to see if it works on a;; materials, or just some. Be sure to post results. It might work really well for concrete look.

We have a brand of baby powder here called Curash, contains Zinc Oxide and Cornstarch. It clings very well, probably because of the Cornstarch. I imagine various color chalks could be combined.

I use Bragdons Weathering Powders, which are excellent I might add and stick like poo to a blanket, but tried using regular chalk rubbed against sand paper prior to the Bragdons. What I discovered was it didn't stick to anything terribly well and when a clear coat was applied, that tended to "blow the chalk" around. Because it didn't stick, it didn't matter what color I used, the color didn't stay/show up.

The other (almost opposite) issue I discovered was when using chalk to replicate mortar lines between the bricks. One of two things would occur when giving it a clear coat - the clear coat would blow the chalk around and cause it to clag up heavily in spots across the wall.

Now, using chalk powder with baby powder might be better, I really can't say but can;'t imagine it improving the adhesive qualities of the chalk either.

There's a lot of different mediums that could be use for weathering like cornstarch, makeup, etc. While they may work when initially applied, the long term durability of these products is unknown.

I would stay with the main stream weathering powders, oils, paints and caulks.

Thanks.

Greg

Back