Switching from Digitrax Zephyr to Super Chief (Wireless)...

gcochran

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle. :)

I'm having a bit of trouble with my new Digitrax Super Chief setup and was wondering if others have already solved my problem. I read through some posts but didn't see my specific issue so I'm posting now. Thanks in advance for any advice you might give which helps me debug my problem.

The symptom is this: When I try to run either an MRC decoder or a Soundtraxx Tsunami decoder locomotive on my small loop, the sounds work perfectly but motion of the locomotive stops/starts.

A little background: The locomotives in question work 100% of the time on my Digitrax Zephyr layout loop. No issues there at all. All other locomotives using standard Digitrax decoders work on the new Digitrax Super Chief loop. The quarter test on all four sides of my small loop indicate LocoNet commands are reaching the entire loop on both layouts.

I've tried resetting decoders, resetting the Super Chief, all to no end. As of now I'm at a loss at to what to try next. I am using the DCS 100 with the DT400 (radio version) via a UR91.

I am suspicious of the UR91 as the Track Status light never turns on despite the fact the other two LEDs work perfectly. Could just be a bad UR91 but I'm not sure.

Any information you have is much appreciated.

-- Glenn

Hi Glenn: Welcome to the forum. I think you''ll find the people here to be friendly and willing to help. Maybe a little constructive criticism, but never nasty. I have the SC radio, and the UR91 needs to be connected to the track to show track status. They are the 2 screw terminals at the back. DJ.

Is the "power save" option selected on the DT400? That may be your problem. You will get enough amperage to run a standard DCC equipped engine but a sound equipped engine won't get enough amperage for both sound and motor control.

A couple of things that bring back nightmares. I have The Super Empire Builder. When I first set it up, I found that the track had to be impeccably clean when using sound or the problem you describe occurred. I also upgraded my power supplies, as I run multiple units. Two power the track, one the switches and transfer table, and yet another the lighting and inertia units(crossing gates, an airplane propeller, ect.).

Also, a buddy has the Super Chief. He had similar problems, and his problem was solved as Jim described.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, will try later today...

Yes, my problem does happen when the throttle is plugged in. Never thought try it any other way just yet. Any reason in particular this question got asked?

As for Power Saver mode, I'm not sure. I'll look into that too and make sure I'm not in that mode.

I really appreciate the help, BTW. As soon as I know more I'll updated here.

The power save mode of the DT400 is not the issue. The power save mode has nothing to do with the power on the layout, it causes the DT400 to go to "sleep" when operating untethered and there are no throttle changes for a period of time.

Give us more information on your setup and we might be able to help more. Are your Chief and Zephyr systems completely seperate or are you trying to use the Chief as a booster with the Zephyr or the Zephyr as a booster/throttle with the Chief? If you are using them seperatly, are you sure there are absolutely no connnections between them? How many and what type of throttles are you using? When the locomotives stop and start, what kind of motion is it? Do they kind of stutter along, or do they completely stop for a while and then continue moving? When they do stop, do they start back up on there own or do you have to adjust the throttle to get them moving again?

I know that's a lot of questions, but when trying to help someone trouble shoot a problem, the more information they give, the better chance we have aof solving it. I will say this: the most common cause I have seen for locomotives to apparently randomly stop and start on there own is having them controlled by more than one throttle.

Back to the power issue: What is the track voltage? Is the toggle on the front of the Chief in the HO position?

Back